Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you see a kid without a jacket...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM
  • 117 Replies

A response to another post got me thinking:

When you see a toddler without a jacket when its about 40 degrees, with an adult who is wearing one, what do you think? 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taias_ma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

omg i get pissed off as all get out

mom_love07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM

i don't think I have ever seen that to know what I would think. I know that I would sure be wondering why the grown up had a coat on but the child didn't.

*Stefan Salvatore is my Edward Cullen.*

mamivon2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Where the fuck is his jacket?

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM
I don't think anything of it unless the child is looking like they are cold. I have a son that has pretty much refused to wear a coat most of his life. He will wear extra layers and put on hoodies, but he hates wearing coats. It is a fight every morning to get him to wear one. He hates it so much that he mysteriously "loses" his coat all the time.
CaeliMommyUSMC
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I live in Iowa and it got cold last winter.  Anyways I used to work in a daycare with 1 year olds and there was this family that would bring in their kid without a jacket on.  These were days that it wasnt even 20 degrees out, but yet they would bring the jacket along....alot of good that did.  I can understand taking it off while in the carseat but at least put it back on when you get out.  No wonder why this kid always had a runny nose.  It really pissed me off but yet I wasnt allowed to say anything.

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I think  they have a kid like mine who HATES jackets, and just doesn't like to wear them.  Not worth the fight, you can't get sick from cold, you get sick from viruses. 

So, if my kid doesn't want to wear a jacket, eventually when they get cold they will put one one.

For what its worth, I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS hot, always, and I HATE wearing a jacket myself.  I don't even own long sleeves because I HATE long sleeves. 

Heck, I have one who hates to wear shoes, hasn't worn them all summer, he puts them on now,but I guarantee they come off within a few minutes of putting them on.  Eventually he will learn they keep your feet warm, until then I carry his shoes around with me. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I tend to think "hmm...maybe the kid isn't cold."  Or, "maybe the kid hates jackets." Or something along those lines.  I never just automatically think that the parents are jerks.  You should have seen my parents try to get a jacket on my brother.  He would throw the mother of all tantrums.

shecallsmemom04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

i had a friend who used to do that.  her excuse...her kid put up a fight every time she tried to put a coat on him.  my question...who's the adult? 

if you really want to know about me, just read my personal statement on my profile, it's easier. :-)
SweetMynx19
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

HAHA! when i saw the topic, before i opened it, i thought to myself, "I had better not see the parent wearing one"

A few days ago I handed my daugher (4) her coat, put her in the car and drove to the store. When i went to get her out of the car her coat was no where to be found (we live in FL, it wasnt particularly cold, just wet from Tropical storm Ida). I took off my jacket, covered her in it and walked inside with them. If I am more comfortable wearing a coat then my kids should have one on. if they dont I am certainly not going to wear one!

Desiree and Mischa
Parents to
Ava Chiara Lee
and
Ryan Alexander!
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I don't think anything of it unless the child is looking like they are cold. I have a son that has pretty much refused to wear a coat most of his life. He will wear extra layers and put on hoodies, but he hates wearing coats. It is a fight every morning to get him to wear one. He hates it so much that he mysteriously "loses" his coat all the time.

I was hoping to see this.  Another post with the, "I get so pissed when a see a kid without a jacket with an adult wearing one," response got me wondering.
Anyhow, my son rarely wears a jacket.  They aren't safe in car seats and I can keep him equally warm with layers, as you stated.  He wears a onsie (though w/ potty training I'll probably replace that with just an undershirt this year), a thermal shirt a long sleeve t-shirt and, if necessary, a sweatshirt or hoodie. 
I just wondered how many people would actually stop to take into account that the child probably IS dressed adequately, despite not having a coat on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)