Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To homeschooling moms

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am considering homeschooling my daughter next year but I have no idea how or where to begin. I have been looking for information online and I'm not having much luck. Any advice?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
anetrnlov
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I would suggest joining Happy Homeschoolers here.

I would also recommend:

100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child by Linda Dobson

Homeschool Your Child for Free by LauraMaery Gold and Joan M. Zielinski

The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas by Linda Dobson

ETA:  You are also going to want to check out your states laws in regards to homeschooling.

ETA, again (LOL sorry)...You may want to check out this site or this one.

wedding website

RypTyd1999
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Look up Abeka (i think that's how its spelled.....)  stuff!  I've already started with my son and he'll be 3 in January. There's also, i think on the World Book website, a list of "things your child should know" at different ages; like numbers, colours, how to spell their name, their address. It's very useful.

A homeschooling mom could probably help you out alot more than I can, but that's what I do. Also, we purchased a CD from eBay with worksheets on it. My son loves to do them, we've had it for about 3 months and have already had to print different pages because he knows what to do on all the ones he had.

little.miss.mom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Check your states homeschool laws, some states leave you completely alone while some you have to submit your curriculum for approval. That will give you a good idea on where to start.

mysticblyss
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I agree you should check your home school laws, heres the best website to find them , quick fast and in a hurry. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

I don't think I would have started homeschooling without going to this site at least 100 times a day before I took them out (and this was for almost a year of researching all about homeschooling. 

PS. if you want to PM me i have plenty of awesome websites to learn more about what and how to get started.  i personally got more from the websites then i ever did in any home school group here on CM.

srkpatton241
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Thank you ladies! Your replies were helpful...I would not have known to look at the state laws...good thing I asked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)