Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MSNBC Reports Teen Boy Contracted Neurological Disorder Hours After H1N1 Flu Vaccine

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM
  • 38 Replies

Another apparent victim of flu vaccine injury--this time from the H1N1 shot:

MSNBC Reports Teen Boy Contracted Neurological Disorder Hours After H1N1 Vaccine

Guillain barre slide Read the full article at MSNBC HERE. A 14-year-old Virginia boy is weak and struggling to walk after coming down with a reported case of Guillain-Barre syndrome within hours after receiving the H1N1 vaccine for swine flu.

Jordan McFarland, a high school athlete from Alexandria, Va., left Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children Tuesday night in a wheelchair nearly a week after developing severe headaches, muscle spasms and weakness in his legs following a swine flu shot. He will likely need the assistance of a walker for four to six weeks, plus extensive physical therapy...

...Jordan's parents said doctors diagnosed the teen with GBS, a rare muscle disorder that develops when a person’s own immune system attacks the nerves, causing muscle weakness, difficulty walking and sometimes paralysis and death.

Hospital officials didn't dispute that the boy had GBS, but refused to comment on the boy's condition or treatment, even after his family granted permission.

“They don’t want to create a fear or panic in the community,” said Jordan's stepmother, Connin.

If Jordan had eaten a sandwich with tainted meat, would the hospital have declined to comment for fear of causing a panic in the meat eating community? 

(posted at AoA) 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Julie132
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I guess the shot is not as safe as we've been led to believe!

HLoeffler08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Wow..I am kinda glad I got my kids shots before reading that.

TobeyMomma4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

This is exactly why I have been afraid to get it or let my little ones get it either. Poor boy! I know you can recover from it, but it is too scary!

Cavalrybaby02
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Scary.  But rare.

This can happen with ANY vaccine.

hlewis
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

This is what pisses me off!  That poor boy!  God bless him.  I hope he recovers!

sdolly
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I Agree this can happen with any vaccine not just H1N1

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

Scary.  But rare.

Loa1002
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

This type of story breaks my heart b/c it was unnecessary.

When you inject those types of ingredients into anyone it is a crap shoot- if they have a side effect now or later down the road.

No thanks.

Julie132
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Not as rare as you think.  With the 1976 swine flu vaccine, there were hundreds of cases of Guillian Barre paralysis, some that were permanent. 

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

Scary.  But rare.

canegirl0700
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Actually it is because of the eggs they use to grow the vaccine that triggered it. If someone has a history of GBS or Guillen - Barre Syndrome, they should not get any type of  flu shot. All shots do not use eggs.

Julie132
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Guillain (not Guillen) -Barre has nothing to do with the eggs!  Everyone can have this risk not just folks who have already had it.

Actually it is because of the eggs they use to grow the vaccine that triggered it. If someone has a history of GBS or Guillen - Barre Syndrome, they should not get any type of  flu shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)