Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FOSTER PARENTS!!!!! north carolina

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

i was wondering what does it take to become foster parents? i cant do it right now but later on id really like to. i want to know more about what it takes so when i bring up the idea to hubby i can answer his questions. like what all do you have to do? how much money does it take on avg? how big of a house must you have? do you have to take a class or anything? what? fill me in! THANKS!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
1-teen-mommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM

bump???? please?

1-teen-mommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM

nothing at all!!!!! i know there are foster moms on here? where are at. ATLEAST GIMMIE A BUMP!!!!!!

Juliekat23
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Google "foster parenting in XX(your state)"  you will get better info.

I do know you have to take classes, I think you need to be married with stable income, they do lots of home visits and inspections.  They pay you monthly per child according to a scale.  (kids with problems give you more money) and you are provided with medicaid insurance for the kids you foster.  (here in texas...my aunts sil fostered and now adopted her children)  Sorry, Im going off memory here.

You have to have space for them, a bed to sleep on is important. 

My mom fosters my two cousins, but, because they are family, she gets no help from the state at all.  So, if you foster family kids, its as though they are your own and you provided everything. 

Just make sure you are prepared to give the kids up when the state decides their parents get them back.  Thats the tough part-getting attached and falling in love only to lose them again.  If you can do that, you are awesome mama!!!

CafeMom Tickers

1-teen-mommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM

well i want to do it b/c i know there are foster homes out there that suck! i want to help these kids anda be someone they will remember and know they can count on!

Quoting Juliekat23:

Google "foster parenting in XX(your state)"  you will get better info.

I do know you have to take classes, I think you need to be married with stable income, they do lots of home visits and inspections.  They pay you monthly per child according to a scale.  (kids with problems give you more money) and you are provided with medicaid insurance for the kids you foster.  (here in texas...my aunts sil fostered and now adopted her children)  Sorry, Im going off memory here.

You have to have space for them, a bed to sleep on is important. 

My mom fosters my two cousins, but, because they are family, she gets no help from the state at all.  So, if you foster family kids, its as though they are your own and you provided everything. 

Just make sure you are prepared to give the kids up when the state decides their parents get them back.  Thats the tough part-getting attached and falling in love only to lose them again.  If you can do that, you are awesome mama!!!

Starfire73
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Giving you a bump here....I got nothing. Sorry

Juliekat23
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Not sure what county you live in, but, here's what Im finding...

Gaston County http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/DSS/AdoptionsFoster.htm  That page tells you everything you are asking.

http://ssw.unc.edu/fcrp/fp/fp_view_by_subject/fp_view_foster_parenting.htm North Carolina in general, training list is at bottom.  There are a ton of links on that page.

Good Luck, fostering kids is wonderful.  Many of those kids would benefit greatly from a stable and loving home.

I see the difference in my cousin every day.  Just knowing she has a safe home to come home to, knowing she is treated like every other child there, knowing she can sleep at night and not worry about things....thats what has changed her for the better.  Her brother has only been there for a few days and he is already holding his head up higher and smiling more.  I admire the steps my mom took to get them there.  And I admire you for wanting to do the same. Good Luck!

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)