Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alarm clocks and kids

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have a 4 y/o who is going to head start and I would like to make him more independent. I was thinking about laying his clothes on the foot of his bed and putting an alarm clock in his room set for 6:30. I will do one that I know his can turn off himself and everything. I was wondering is 4 to young and if so what age do you start using an alarm clock with a child?

Brandi wife to John

Mother to Joshua, Aurora, Jacob, And 3 Angel Babies

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM

i dont know i never used a alarm clock with my kids i always get up with them but here is abump 

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I don't think its too young. My daughter is 9 and she wakes up from an alarm and then comes and wakes me up when shes all showered.

Shes been doing this for years....I think she started with the alarm at the age of 5.

Schleetle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

We have a potty alarm for our son because he has a bed wetting issue... It wakes him up (unless he sleeps through it which occasionally happens because hes a heavy sleeper) he uses the bathroom, turns off the alarm, and goes back to bed. We started using that when he was 5. I don't think it could hurt to try it out...

Pregnancy Ticker

MzSeXyC
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

my son just turned 4 in september (he goes to headstart too lol) but i personally think 4 may be a little young...least with my son i know that would be the case. you can always try it though :)

i was about 6 or 7 when i had a alarm clock and got myself up and ready for school. 

ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I say go for it.  Tell him what he is to do when he hears the alarm go off.  Baby steps. 

My youngest is four and she wakes up with her sisters' alarm clock and starts getting ready with them.  They come downstairs all dressed while I'm making coffee.   

Listen without prejudice.
  My name is ErikaRobin and I approve of this signature.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Yes i think its too young. I dont see a problem lieing out his clothes and you going and waking him up and telling him to get ready while you get him something to eat. My sons 9 has an alarm clock but i still wake him up.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

Diane325
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I dont remember with daughter, but son was a senior in HS before I left it up to him to get himself up..I was up anyways to get hubby off to work so I just woke him up when it was time.

Even though maybe HS was a bit long ...that was just me...lol..  I do feel 4 y/o is way to early..at that age it is ur responsibility to get him up NOT his.  JMO

Mickey MouseDiane

ErikaM27
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

i would jusy wake him i think it would scare my ds or ignore it lol

goodnightmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM

All I want him to do is get up turn the alarm opp get dressed and walk out of his room I don't mean do everything himself just get up and get dressed that is it. Everything else I will do for him or help him with.

Quoting ChaoticX4:

Well, if you are talking about him getting up by himself, turn the alarm clock off, dress himself and be prepared for school....YES! He is to young.

Brandi wife to John

Mother to Joshua, Aurora, Jacob, And 3 Angel Babies

3boyz1princess
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

It is worth a try..For some reason in my house alarm clocks dont work real well with the boys.. My 15 yr old son NEVER wakes to his alarm 9it goes off for over 1 hr) but my 13 yr old daughter never has had a problem..My hubby still hits snooze about 3-4 times till I flip on all the lights.

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)