Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice....I'm so confused....

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm currently going to college at University of Phoenix for Information Technology but the thing is...I don't even know if thats what I want to do. I only picked it because it has a high income future. I also have severe depression. I was put on Zoloft (25mg..low dose) and it's still hard for me to fuction. I've actually been cleaning the last two days but I'm too worn out to do anything else. My house is usually a disaster but I've been cooking and cleaning and doing laundry which is a miracle for me. I just can NOT understand my classes...I read it 5 times and still have no idea what it means. It makes me stress out more because my work is always late....I think the only reason I'm still in it is because of the Pell Grant...we really need the money BUT I'm already $9500 in debt from my first year. Should I wait until I get my depression under control before I attend school? I really am interested in being a nurse because I like helping people and making them feel better. Should I dropout now? I get so stressed because of my school that I feel like crying and breaking down. Do other people feel this way while going to college? Ugh I feel nauseated thinking about it.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelove8
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM
tornadoes10
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Oh my goodness I do understand! And I am so sorry you are going through this. IMO, I wouldn't drop out just yet. A success in any of your classes might help the depression. If anything, I'd try and see if you can get a degree in a shorter amount of time. Like instead of a bachelors, go for an Associates, instead of an Associates, go for a Certificate. That way you will still see some progress. To connect the nursing dream, how great is your resume going to look to any human resources rep with both a computer degree AND a nursing degree?

However, only you know how far you can stretch yourself before the sanity cracks. Good Luck!

KatieFlower
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM

i think if school is really stressinng you out that much you should consider taking a year off.  take some more time to be with your children. if you are this upset about it it will be too hard to get good grades too.  and the classes you already took are still good when you go back.  dont forget about taking care of yourself you need to make yourself a priority. alot of mom seem to push themselves aside for other people but dont forget if the mommas not happy NOBODYS happy! so make yourself happy and do what you want to do.

the heart whispers so listen carefully 

angelove8
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I'm getting my Associates and my grades are suffering..I'm barely passing. I know I can do better but I just get sooo frustrated.

Quoting tornadoes10:

Oh my goodness I do understand! And I am so sorry you are going through this. IMO, I wouldn't drop out just yet. A success in any of your classes might help the depression. If anything, I'd try and see if you can get a degree in a shorter amount of time. Like instead of a bachelors, go for an Associates, instead of an Associates, go for a Certificate. That way you will still see some progress. To connect the nursing dream, how great is your resume going to look to any human resources rep with both a computer degree AND a nursing degree?

However, only you know how far you can stretch yourself before the sanity cracks. Good Luck!

Christy644
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I had a complete school meltdown recently. I also go to UofP. I changed my major. It helped a ton. I ended up with 3 extra classes, but that's a minor thing compaiered to the overload I was experiencing.

Don't drop before you look into the other programs.

marshsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Only you can decide what is right for you.  If you feel overwhelmed you may need to take a break just to figure out what you need/want to do.  While the IT field does have a high income potential it's also very fast paced and competitive so finding a job could be difficult.  Nursing, IMO, would be a more stable career decision.  I work in IT, if you need some help with a project or something feel free to PM me and I'll try to help!

angelove8
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I did change my program from Business to Information Technology. I'm really worried I'm going to fail my current classes because I do not understand them at all. They are electives. If I fail...I will be in more debt.

Quoting Christy644:

I had a complete school meltdown recently. I also go to UofP. I changed my major. It helped a ton. I ended up with 3 extra classes, but that's a minor thing compaiered to the overload I was experiencing.

Don't drop before you look into the other programs.

TarotMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I think you should talk to your advisor about making changes with your class schedule and possibly drop some classes. Let your advisor know about your financial aid and try to figure out a way of working things out where it won't affect that part. In keeping your funding, you must have a certain GPA as well as attendance. Also you may even want to change your major, review what classes you've already taken and look at other major's that those classes would apply. You may just want to take electives or the standard required courses for now.

GrapesMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I totally understand your feeling. To be honest i think going to school isn't helping your depression as much as the other way around. When i first went to school i had a scholarship... full ride and everything, but i had chosen to do economics and finance because i was good at it and my dad is a stock broker and my mom an accountant. It made sense. Well i hated it, and i got depressed and stopped going to school and lost my scholarship and all that. 

I think you just need to go to school for something you know you really want to do. I decided i wanted to go back to be a teacher. And i'm happier than pie, given i only go to school part time.

Another thing to keep in mind.... your first 2 years of college and only your first 2 are completely tax deductible. Whatever you have to spend on school out of pocket, or have to pay back, as long as it was the school part, you get back 100% on you taxes. 

partygal19dani
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I feel for you!!  I have suffered with anxiety and depression problems much of my life and it really sucks bad!!!  You may want to take a semester off and get your medicine under control.  It can take awhile to work or to find the correct dosage to help.  It's a drawn out pain in the ass process.  But hang in there.  I would wait until I am in a better frame of mind so that I can handle the school work.  But if IT is too much to handle, then definitely switch.  I will warn you though.......nursing is NOT easy stuff either.  My niece couldn't hack it and had to drop out because she was super stressed.  A nurse needs to be able to cope and think straight.  You are dealing with people's lives here.  I really think you should wait until you feel more in control once the medication starts to be effective.  Why feel bad about just barely squeaking by when you may be able to do much better than that?  Give yourself a break and get better first.  Remove that from your plate for awhile.  You can always go back in 6 months or a year.  Just chill and get your head straightened out first.  Good luck!!!

Danielle (Partygal19dani)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)