Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stubborn kid that doesnt want to potty train!!! grrr!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 3yo is being so stubborn about going on the potty. I'm being consistant, we have a potty routine...she HATES all potties, she screams, cries, runs, refuses to go, hides to go potty....urg!

What can I do? She's in panties, she picked them out, she loves them. I tell her not to let tinkerbell get wet and she doesn't care. I've rewarded her with a sucker or sticker when she does go on it- she doesn't care.

I'm getting so frustrated!! We've been at this for MONTHS!!

PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Q0112
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:51 AM

for some children age 3 is too early. just because you know so and so who was potty trained at 2 doesn't mean your daughter can be (this is an example) . some children don't use the potty until age 4 or even 5! i know it's frustrating..but she will do it when her body is ready. there is nothing u can do but only frustrate her and prolong it. she will do it when she's ready.

mariscilla
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

have you tried just letting her walk around nakey waste down. that helped us and i kept the potty in the living room as well.

what made you decide to train? did she show interest? she just may not be ready and the pressure to use the potty may be keeping her from using it. maybe you should just stop for a bit?? if you rather not make sure not to add pressure or show your frustrations (i know thats easier said when not slipping on a piddle puddle).

kk_bella
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I've been having the same problem with my three year old and it seems to me like when we really pressure her to use the potty, she rebels.

But when we put diapers on her, she ends up with UTI's.

It's frustrating, she has good days and bad days. Yesterday, she pee'd on the floor six times (my mom was here and was babysitting).

little.miss.mom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I strongly believe that children will start when they are ready. Try not to pressure her that usually only makes things worse.

RoguesMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Quoting mariscilla:

have you tried just letting her walk around nakey waste down. that helped us and i kept the potty in the living room as well.

what made you decide to train? did she show interest? she just may not be ready and the pressure to use the potty may be keeping her from using it. maybe you should just stop for a bit?? if you rather not make sure not to add pressure or show your frustrations (i know thats easier said when not slipping on a piddle puddle).

Her potty is in the livingroom too. I started because she showed interest around June. I started and we were doing really well. She would go all day with only one accident. I found out I was pregnant end of june- early july and had bad HG and was on homecare and bedrest (med pump, iv fluids at home) so I had to stop- i was so sick. I started back up in September and since then she's been like this. She wouldn't let hubby take her to the potty while I was sick. I'm getting lots of pressure from everyone. Everyone says she should have been potty trained well before 3yrs. I was just waiting for her to be interested, and that DID happen in June- right before her 3rd birthday. Its not helping that she's acting out and already showing jealously over a little sister thats not born yet.
PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
Kizbee
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

It sonds like she's just not ready.  If it were me, I would stop trying for now, and try again in 4 or 5 months.

I really like your glass house!

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I know it's easier said than done, but try to ignore those who are pressuring you.  It may be easier on her if you wait until little one is born.  Maybe with you being pg and having been sick, it;s just been too much for her.  Let her start when she's ready.  Also, if you're not pressuring her, then she may take to it better.  Also, don't let other people bother you about it within her earshot.  Little pitchers, big ears, you know? Good luck!  It will come in time.  :)

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I am having the same problem as you. My daughter is three and does all the same things as yours. She will not even put on her panties. She screams and cries when I put them on her. She knows how to potty in the potty but she will not do it! She will take you I want my diaper! I've laid off for awhile but when I try again she freaks out. She will not take to any potty. I have tried them all!

Anyone got a speical secrets to this?

amybeth421
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I started potty training my boys at  3 years old and they just recently stopped having accidents.  They were both very stubborn and were 5 and 4 when they were finally done.  They were never interested in the potty and it was a fight to get them to finally go.  Now that they are done it is such a relief to be there.  She may not be ready yet.  I was worried about our boys and the pediatrician told me that they do not usually get worried until they are around 6.  Just keep at it and one day it will click with her what to do.

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I have been at it with my 3 year old for a while now! I found out I was prego in September of last year so that's when I started potty training her. She was doing good til I had the baby in May. From the moment baby sis came home big sis didn't want to have anything to do with potties!! We stuck at it though. I can tell when she is getting frustrated with it though and give her a 2 day break, usually by then she will start to tell me when she has to go. We also got her pull ups, but we call them princess panties.. lol.. She likes to change herself if she has an accident and there are hearts on them that disappear if she pees so she trys to keep her hearts as long as she can. I am now 17 weeks prego again so I am really hoping to get her potty trained before this baby comes! Diapers for 3 kids will make me go BROKE!! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)