Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christianity responsible for market crash?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM
  • 16 Replies

I was watching MSNBC and there is a woman named Hanna Rosin who wrote an article stating that Christian might have caused the market crash because preachers/pastors were telling people to specifically (a new theology called the 'prosperity gospel,' being rewarded with riches if you were a faithful Christian) go and get a bigger house even though they couldn't afford it.

What do you think?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?"    - Epicurus

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
I_love_my_girls
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Cue, Joel Osteen. lol 

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?"    - Epicurus

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM

hmm I thought blacks and Mexican were responsible???? Either way why am I always in the blame group? lol

lovemymarine306
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:38 PM

i don't think any one group is responsible...we all have to carry that blame on our shoulders

I_love_my_girls
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:39 PM

lol!

Quoting misssy2000:

hmm I thought blacks and Mexican were responsible???? Either way why and I always in the blame group? lol

photoqueen240

Seriously? LOL!!!!!!!

My pastor never told me that..........He preaches NOT to get yourself into debt. Live within your means, etc.

asmcbride

Since what you are talking about is rather small sub-sect of Christianity I would have to say no. I'm a Christian and certainly nobody in my church was running off to buy a new house with money they didn't have.  

Sorry people...you can't blame Christians for everything.

I_love_my_girls
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I blame the government. We can't, quite possibly, be living in a market that constantly needs us to continue shopping, shopping, buying, buying, buying.

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i don't think any one group is responsible...we all have to carry that blame on our shoulders

ERNAProud

Prosperity preachers, IMO, are false teachers.

But aside from that....Why not blame the Christians, it wouldn't be anything new.

RheaF

A church really taught that? Our's councels to live with-in your means. But I dont believe Christianity has caused anything.

Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.    ~Proclamation, September 23,1995~

ERNAProud
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Thank you. I don't believe in Prosperity preaching. Just look at Paula White, she was one of the biggest ones and her marriage ended in divorce. That tells me right there something was bad wrong.

Quoting asmcbride:

Since what you are talking about is rather small sub-sect of Christianity I would have to say no. I'm a Christian and certainly nobody in my church was running off to buy a new house with money they didn't have.  

Sorry people...you can't blame Christians for everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)