Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jealously and acting out (sister NOT born yet)

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM
  • 3 Replies

I'm 24wks and showing big time. Seems the bigger I get the more she understood that theres a little baby inside me.

Ava (3yo) is acting out big time the last month. She screams if I look at baby stuff, or go into the babys room to fix it up.

I try to get her to help me, make her part of it. But she just acts out.

I was setting up the nursery and she started crying saying she wanted butterflies in her bedroom too.

I spent a weekend just her and I fixing up her room with butterflies and puppies- everything she wanted.

I thought then I could do the babys room without her fighting me...nope.

I feel so bad for her..Im giving her all the attention in the world- but its just not enough...

PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
rchl882
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I have a one year old & I'm in early pregnancy, so I can't really help. Here's a bump.

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I have a 19 month old and he is jealous already. He doesn't understand the belly and baby thing, but he does realize the pink stuff isn't his, and the new room isn't his, and the new bassinet isn't his (that one hurt him pretty bad .... He thought it was his "truck") lol. He has started "stealing" her clothes and hiding them or trying to put them on. 

Maybe you should start telling her that "mommy is going to bring her a baby sister home from the hospital" refer to the baby as HER baby and maybe she will come around that way. Right now the baby is competition but if she feels a little ownership , like, "that's MY baby sister!" she can't be jealous of something she kinda "owns"

If that makes sense? Hope it helps anyway.

I never expected to have to deal with sibling rivalry BEFORE the baby got here either! LOL

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Jake and Emma were 2 and 3 when Caitlin was born.  We always refered to Caitlin as "our baby" so that they were included in it being their baby too.  When we found out she was a girl we brought home balloons for each of the kids "from" Caitlin that said "It's a Girl" and we started refering to her as "Our baby Caitlin" and so forth.  We talked a lot about what sorts of fun things they would get to do with her like singing to her and telling her stories and stuff like that.  We tried to make it seem as much like the baby was a new toy for them as possible.  At the baby shower we had "Caitlin" give them each a present.  We didn't really experience any major sibling rivalry.  They are 5, 4, and 20 months now and other than fighting over toys or just pestering eachother there really isn't much sibling rivalry.  Good luck on your new little one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)