Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the rush to booster children?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM
  • 66 Replies

Putting a child in a "Big Boy/Girl" seat does not make them a big boy/girl when they are 2, 3 or 4yrs old. The average child does not fit safely in a booster until closer to 6yrs old. By putting a child so young in a booster you are putting their lives at risk for serious injuries and even death. The child could submarine under the seatbelt, the child could suffer from seatbelt syndrome or the child could be ejected. So what is the rush to put your childs life at risk. Is it because its more convenient to use a booster than a 5 point harness? Safety is not about convenience.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jrp0606
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I couldn't agree more it breaks my heart to see parents putting their 3 and 4 year olds into boosters seats.  especially when they could still fit in a 40lbs harness and def in one of the many many extended harness seats.

BabyinAug08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I agree and unfortunately the laws haven't really catchd up for there to be harder penalties on parents who do things they know are illegal. For example, FF a 6 month old just gecause it is a big baby.

Also, I don't think enough parents truly know about carseat safety. For exmple, an old friend used a RF seat FF which is illegal, the seat specifically said RF ONLY. She honestly did not read the seat and had no clue.

anetrnlov
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Booster seats are cheaper then another car seat.

We actually had our almost 4 year old in a booster seat and we out and bought him a new car seat and put him back in a 5 point harness.

wedding website

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quoting BabyinAug08:

I agree and unfortunately the laws haven't really catchd up for there to be harder penalties on parents who do things they know are illegal. For example, FF a 6 month old just gecause it is a big baby.

Also, I don't think enough parents truly know about carseat safety. For exmple, an old friend used a RF seat FF which is illegal, the seat specifically said RF ONLY. She honestly did not read the seat and had no clue.

I agree I think that is the problem. So many parents just do not know about carseat safety and SO MANY parents do not read the manuals.

MommaBunch84
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Quoting anetrnlov:

Booster seats are cheaper then another car seat.

We actually had our almost 4 year old in a booster seat and we out and bought him a new car seat and put him back in a 5 point harness.

That is true. But I, myself, cannot put a price on my children's safety. Money is tight, so we can't get my boys new seats RIGHT now. But come tax time they will be in Graco Nautilus's. They are safe right now though in their seats they have. I just don't like them because they only harness to 40lbs.

Way to go for harnessing him again!!way to go

jrp0606
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I couldn't agree more.  I honestly don;t think anyone endangers their child on purpose but they simply don't know any better or don't really understand the importance of the information being given to them.

Quoting BabyinAug08:

Cognito
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM

A lot of people also don't realize there is also help available. I got on the waiting list for the Kyle David Miller Foundation in advance because I knew Milo would need a Regent because of his torso height.

I'm passionate about Carseat Safety. See why at www.kyledavidmiller.org.

Milo Emery 12-13-06 Safely Harnessed in Britax Regents (3rd slots) & Graco Nautilus (3rd slots). He's a BIG boy!

Jareth Remy 5-6-08 Officially Extended Rear Facing in a Britax Boulevard, Radian 65 (3rd slots) & Cosco Scenera (2nd slots).

BabyinAug08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

You know it really doesn't surprise me. And it doesn't help that a lot of parents are getting false information. I learned that the hard way. My son was 23 lbs. when he was 7 1/2 months old and the dr. told me that I can go ahead and FF him. So I went and bought him a evenflo triumph and went to highway patrol to have a cerseat tech help me install the new seat. They  were going to put the seat in RF and I was like "oh the DR said to put him FF" and they loked at me like I had two heads...long story short, we talked and they gave me a lot of information. I also learned that I need to make sure I completely read the manual and save it in case something.

But there are many parents that either choose not to do the right thing when they know what the right thing is, and then there are others that truly don't know. But a carseat safety class is definately important.

After doing a lot of research, I am keeping my son rF to the max, he is 28lbs. and 32 1/2 inches now at almost 15 months old. I will also be extend harness when we get to that point.

My son is almost outgrowing his truimph so I am thinking of getting a Myride65 or truefit. I wanted the graco nautilis but I think he needs to be RF longer and the truimph that we have now only RF to 30 lbs.

nch84:

Quoting BabyinAug08:

I agree I think that is the problem. So many parents just do not know about carseat safety and SO MANY parents do not read the manuals.

sll1976
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM

DH and BM boostered SS before 4 yrs old and I've always hated it.  I told him that we will not booster DS that early.  I've finally convinced him that when income tax comes in, we are getting each of them the Graco Nautilus so SS will go back to being harnessed and DS will stay harnessed longer.  The reason we did SS so soon was because he outgrew his harness height-wise and we didn't realize that there harnessed boosters had higher heights.  I'm glad I found that out on here.  :'}

moretolovemamma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Carseats go by weight now how old the child is. IF your child weighs enough to sit in a booster but is to short, you can support them with a rolled towl or even a swimming pool noodle thats cut in half.. Many cars have that slanted back seat, these 2 itmes work great to leavel out the car seat better as well as help adjusting the hight so that the child sitts saftely in the seat.

I went to a car seat class for 2 1/2 hrs  i learned alot from it. Call your local WIC office if you have WIC and they offer car seat classes and give great carseats out. i got a car seat for 25 and its a 2009.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)