Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just need someone on the outside to give me their thoughts on my situation!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so...

- We moved to NC from TX back in September on short notice due to my husband's job.

- I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant.

- Ok here is where it gets complicated! I can't find a decent OB and hospital within two hours. The nearest one that I even feel the slightest bit comfortable having my c-section at is in Wilmington, NC which is 1hr and 40 mins away from our apartment in NC.

-My son was born in Fairfax, VA which is 5 hours away from our apartment. I love, love, love it there and I feel comfortable with all the docs, nursing staff, and both the grandparents live there. - So of course they would love it if I have the baby there! And so would I b/c I love love love it there, I grew up there and it's my hometown.

- I've been going to my old doc in Fairfax, Va since I switched out of my doc in TX. But my husband thinks it's too hard on the family to keep going up there (I have a 2 year old --- he likes visiting VA and he is a pretty good traveler). I must admit that I hate the drive. -

My mom's house is where I stay and it's ok, but you know how it is --- after a few days you just wish you were at your own house!

---- So questions is ---- WHAT SHOULD I DO!????? I'm torn. I wish I could find some place closer to home b/c after the baby is born I just want to be home, you know?

but there are benefits to delivering in VA close to family

- I know everything there like the back of my hand

- both grandparents live there, so we would get to see family

- that means someone could watch Derek while I'm in the hospital -

I would feel comfortable

Negatives - far away from our home - long drives while I'm pregnant

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Wendyburger
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

answer is simple. go where you will feel comfortable at. this is suppose to be a good experience, one you will always remember. so wouldnt you rather it be a good memory?  

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Where are you located in NC?

kate4567
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM

New Bern - the closest mall is even 2 hours away... it's out in the sticks :/

Quoting usmclife58:

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Haha! I am in Havelock! You sound JUST like me!! That is the first thing I told my mom when I moved here - "The closest REAL mall is 2 hours away!" I had a feeling you were in this area. I am using the East Carolinas Women's Center and going to deliver in New Bern. I am not crazy about it. I miss my doctor's in Charlotte. I worked with them for a couple of years, so I REALLY knew all about them. I cried when I made my appointment here. My husband was fine with me going back home, but I would not want to make the 5 hour trip every 2 weeks and then every week towards the end. My daughter is 2y and rides well, but that was just too much for me! And I was NOT going to live with my mom for a month waiting to deliver. I talked to the moms I have met since I have been here and they all LOVE the docs at ECWC. Having 20 people that have recently given birth talk great things really helped. Even those that have had inductions, C-sections or all-natural (no meds) have said good things about the hospital. I am still not LOVING them, but it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I go to visit the hospital for a tour in Jan/Feb. So I guess you know what *I* would do in this situation :) I will say that I have heard great things about Wilmington and it is a little closer.

Quoting kate4567:

New Bern - the closest mall is even 2 hours away... it's out in the sticks :/

Quoting usmclife58:

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I was fortunate to find a great doctor down here and have felt comfortable with all the OBGYNs at the hospital I go to.  If there are truly no good doctors, where do all the other pregnant women in town go - maybe ask some neighbors who's good?  Small town doctors can be great - I had one take care of me after my miscarriage and he was incredible. 

The other option would be to move in with family if that's a possibility until you deliver.  My husband and I considered this option when we started trying again.  I loved my doctors in Colorado Springs and even though my husband was in El Paso, TX he wanted me to have the best care.  But if you can't find the best care where you are then another option needs to be explored.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)