Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have life insurance?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM
  • 30 Replies

Neither my dh or I have any life insurance. The sad thing is if someone happened to either one of us we would be screwed and so would our dd. I am looking into getting both of us life insurance. I keep seeing and hearing about all this crazy shit going on in the world and I guess im getting freaked out. Dh thinks im paranoid but things happen at random. So if you have life insurance (and not military cause they do their own) what company do you go through and what is a good amount to have? I am thinking of getting anywhere from 10 to 15 times the amount of what our income is? i just am clueless about where to start.

Thanks ladies.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luna091306
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

SO does. I think I may have a policy through work....I can't remember. I know I have accidental death and disability.

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

~ The Dems and the Reps remind me of my kids ~

One is always pointing out the bad things that the other is doing in hopes that I don't notice all the bullshit he is trying to get away with...

I'm not fooled by my own kids and I'm not fooled by Politicians.

begamom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

yes we have life insurance, I won't say the exact amount we have, but it needs to be like 10 times your annual income

oboe_chik
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I have a policy through my DH's work (but its only for 50K) and another policy through my work (I am an insurance agent lol). All I can tell you from my experience is get it while your young and healthy and it will be the cheapest. If you wait till your older it will get more and more expensive and if you have any health concerns the chances are you won't get any coverage at all.

sent4u5041
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I kenw about the 10 times more but I dont know anything about the companies which ones are better and such.

Quoting begamom:

yes we have life insurance, I won't say the exact amount we have, but it needs to be like 10 times your annual income

sent4u5041
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

We are both still young. I am 23 and dh turns 28 this sunday. I work out and am active. I run and keep fit. Neither of us use tobacco and ahrdly ever drink.

Quoting oboe_chik:

I have a policy through my DH's work (but its only for 50K) and another policy through my work (I am an insurance agent lol). All I can tell you from my experience is get it while your young and healthy and it will be the cheapest. If you wait till your older it will get more and more expensive and if you have any health concerns the chances are you won't get any coverage at all.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Yep hubby has the military life insurance and I have a policy through work and we are thinking of getting another bigger policy through USAA. 

USMCBride08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM

we have through the miltary, all of us.. 

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

begamom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I would definitely talk to an insurance agent. That's what we did..

Aislinn

I go through State Farm and my husband and I both have policies. My husband has a 500,000 policy and I have a 250,000 policy. We pay about 170 dollars a month, but it is whole life insurance, not term life insurance.

oboe_chik

Then you should be able to find a policy fairly easily. The best places to look for it are 1) work 2) as an add on through your health insurance or 3) where you get your car/homeowners insurance. Just make sure you get TERM insurance and not WHOLE LIFE insurance. It will be wayyy cheaper if you don't pay into their crappy savings program. You can also get an add on to your life insurance (usually not always) for your children for about $10 a year because the risk of a child dying is so low.

Quoting sent4u5041:

We are both still young. I am 23 and dh turns 28 this sunday. I work out and am active. I run and keep fit. Neither of us use tobacco and ahrdly ever drink.

Quoting oboe_chik:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)