Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use Mirena?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 29 Replies

I went to my doctor thinking about having my tubes tied....after hearing what other women go through, I am thinking maybe not..then he told me about Mirena. like an IUD but it contains 1/8 of a dose of a birth control pill, does nnot have the risks with cancer since it gives more progesteron not estrogen, you keep it in for 5 years and no periods...I am really thinking about that.  What are your experiences with it?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolynhowell
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM
I love it. I can't tell its there. When i first got it i had crampin that day and spotted a tiny bit for a week then i haven't had any other side effects. Some people say they have heard of people gettin preg from it but i don't know anyone that has and i haven't gotten preg with it in. I recommend it
01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I have it, I HATE it. For the first 6-9 mths I bled HEAVILY nearly all mth straight. I would get about 1-2 days of no bleeding and then it would start again. I cramped really really bad with it. After about a yr on it, I stopped having my periods..which is the ONLY thing I like about it. You would think that not having to take a pill, put in a diaphragm, use a condom, etc would ease your mind but for me it hasn't. I still worry every time we have sex about "what if it moved? What if it's slipping out slowly and I'm not protected?" I check my strings all the time but still worry. Certain positions during sex hurt for the first few yrs...felt like he was jabbing the IUD into me. He said he could feel it "poking" him for awhile. I experience HORRIBLE mood swings, I have gained 30 lbs, my acne is worse. I get a bacterial infection at least once every 3-4 mths. I have NEVER had one prior and have read the IUD can cause them, even though my OB disagrees.

I would not recommend the Mirena.

crystal21usmc

I've had mine for 4 years and no problems. Hubby said he could feel it poking him sometimes at first, but that was the only "problem" we encountered.

Photobucket

Photobucketmarines

MissiHampt

I got mine not long after my son was born.  The first couple of years were great, 1 or 2 light periods and then none.  Then, after a while the periods slowly started coming back....and getting heavier and longer till eventually I was bleeding all the time.  So, I had it removed.  It also caused pregnancy-like symptoms off and on the whole time, which is supposed to be a very common side effect. 

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

01.Amey.07

My aunt got pregnant with my cousin while using the Mirena.

Quoting carolynhowell:

I love it. I can't tell its there. When i first got it i had crampin that day and spotted a tiny bit for a week then i haven't had any other side effects. Some people say they have heard of people gettin preg from it but i don't know anyone that has and i haven't gotten preg with it in. I recommend it

01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Really?? I haven't read that....but I have felt like I was pregnant LOTS of times. (like right now as a matter of fact)

Quoting MissiHampt:

I got mine not long after my son was born.  The first couple of years were great, 1 or 2 light periods and then none.  Then, after a while the periods slowly started coming back....and getting heavier and longer till eventually I was bleeding all the time.  So, I had it removed.  It also caused pregnancy-like symptoms off and on the whole time, which is supposed to be a very common side effect. 

INmommyof1
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I've got the copper one, Paraguard. I love it!

samgoss
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I've had mine for bout 4 months now. The process was VERY uncomfortable, and I had to go thru it twice because the first one slipped out. I bled heavily for the first 3 months, I finally stopped about a week ago. I have pretty much lost my sex drive. The hubby can feel it during intercourse, and sometimes it really hurts him. I have headaches that will not go away... I am going to give it one more month and if things dont straighten out a bit I am going to have it removed.

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Have it, hate it, getting it out as soon as my husband gets health insurance. Had WAY too many problems with it.

Mami2Zoe
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

the only thing I like about mine is I don't have a period. I have had mine for almost 2 year now. I have horrible mood swing,bloating, my breast hurt all the time and I have acne now. I want to get it taken out but have no insurance right now. I would like to get the paraguard. it last 10 years and has no hormones

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)