Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

Could you stay with a spouse who constantly and deliberately chooses work over you?

For example, my DD and I came down with the Flu, probably swine flu, Monday evening. I am still very very very weak and slightly feverish. He left me here on Tuesday with both of us extremely ill saying he was going to work for just a little bit, well that turned into nearly 6 hours. He was home yesterday bitching about it the whole day. Then hes back at work today, when I can barely make it down the stairs still. And this is just the most recent example in a long line of work over his family.

WWYD? 

"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin."

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckypenny720
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Me personally?  I would just suck it up... in my family work HAS to come first for 1 of us since we almost always live paycheck to paycheck.  Fortunately I hardly ever get sick, but hubby does. Since I am allowed personal calls at work we talk often during the day and I do tell him how bad I feel for him,,,

bottom line... yep I always go to work.

adrianasmommy07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Quoting luckypenny720:

Me personally?  I would just suck it up... in my family work HAS to come first for 1 of us since we almost always live paycheck to paycheck.  Fortunately I hardly ever get sick, but hubby does. Since I am allowed personal calls at work we talk often during the day and I do tell him how bad I feel for him,,,

bottom line... yep I always go to work.

Thats a bit different than our situation. We dont live paycheck to paycheck anymore thankfully and he has two weeks of vacation that have to be used before the end of the year or he looses them.

Work doesnt have to come first he is just obsessed with it.

"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin."

armywifenmommie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

im not sure honestly i can say i would be very upset that he is constantly goin to work especially since you guys are sick and since u say he has to use his vacation days before the year is out i would be even more pissed off. he could use those days to help take care of you and your child while u guys are sick 

FuzzybugsMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I WISH I could work, or that my husband would find a job. I'm due with our third baby in January, and I'm on light bed rest, so I can't do much of anything but sit around. 

My husband's just an ass and won't find a job. He's about to get the boot but I digress...

I'd just deal with it. I enjoyed life much more before he got laid off, and he was working close to 60 hours a week as a heating and air tech.

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Well my husband's in the Army so there really is no "choice."  But if he volunarily went into work unnecessarily instead of keeping plans and promises no I wouldn't put up with that. 

luckypenny720
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

see you didnt say at first that he had vacation time... then I would say he should use the vacation time while you are sick if he is able

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

hmm,, my husband works long long hours, but he does it all for us, so yep, !

i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM

You know what? Leave him. Know why? Because someone else will appreciate him, and you'll be a single mom taking care of your kids 24/7 by yourself whether you're sick or not..whether they are sick or not.. and you will be kicking yourself in the ASS for not appreciating him more.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, tutu making WAH momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

mammafox
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

If I get sick here I still have to take care of kids and hubby and meals and minor housework. Although it is rare that I end up sick unless it is migraine related.  Regardless I have my job to do for my family and sickness is something that I must deal with occasionally. 

My husband has taken time off when I have been really sick to run me to urgent care or drs, and when I have had to go in for an operation.  Mine is there when I need him the MOST.

I am sure this will come across as coarse, but it better that you have a man who works his rear off instead of sitting on his rear. 

Honestly, how much could actually do for you and your daughter when you really need to rest more then anything else.  What would he actually do if he was there?

Hope you and your daughter recover quickly.

adrianasmommy07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

You know what? Leave him. Know why? Because someone else will appreciate him, and you'll be a single mom taking care of your kids 24/7 by yourself whether you're sick or not..whether they are sick or not.. and you will be kicking yourself in the ASS for not appreciating him more.

Did you not read that this was just the most recent example in a long ass line of problems? He constantly chooses work over his family. And it is bad enough that our marriage counselor has noted and even calls him a work a holic and has flat out told him that he cant continue to work 60 hours a week at work and spend all of his waking hours that he his home, working from here either via email or phone. This isnt just about today. This is just the last straw.

And yes Im sure that everyone who has the Flu, 99% probablitly of Swine flu, is capable of taking care of themself and their child while they are running a 104 degree temp, and only able to move when vomitting. *insert eye roll here*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)