Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cut off my finger!! UPDATED again

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM
  • 72 Replies

I'm using a fake title, because no one would look at this otherwise. I really WOULD like some advice, I know its not drama, but it is cafeMOM.

My son really freaked me out last night. At about midnight, more than 2 hours after he'd been put in bed and fallen asleep, he came running in our room SCREAMING and crying. He started grabbing at the bed and I knew something was wrong so I hurried and lifted him up. For about 5 minutes he just freaked. If he was not right in the middle of the bed, and went anywhere remotely near the edge, he would start screaming. He was shaking from head to toe and kept saying "DEad, dead dead!" over and over. He also kept pointing at the edge, and everytime he looked over at the edge, he'd starty crying again. When he calmed down slightly, he would not let me touch him, but would let my husband. He shook for over an hour and cried if we moved at all. We tried taking him back in his room with all the lights on to show him nothing was there, but he just screamed and clung to us.

Is this normal for a 2 year old? It really freaked me out. I didn't know what to do to calm him down. I kept patting his back and when he did let me touch him, I just held him and he buried his head in my chest.

UPDATE: I just sent my son to get his toy from out of our kitchen/living room. He was gone for maybe 20-30 seconds and came RUNNING back screaming "No no no no hurt hurt hurt!!" And he grabbed me and won't let go. WTF is going on??!!! He is also pointing at the door now.

UPDATE 2: He had ANOTHER nightmare tonight. Not as severe as last night, but still screaming and saying dead dead dead. He won't let me leave him alone, even if he's in MY bed 3 feet away from me. I'm pretty freaked. Something is obviously disturbing him.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

bump

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

bump

clhelms
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

No it isn't normal.  He could be having night terrors or a nightmare.  Has he recently seen any scary movies or even a cartoon where this type of scene pops up?

Carrie

CCCs
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

is this the first time?  if it is i could just be a dream, but if it happens repeatedly it is probably night terrors, and there is nothing really that can be done about it other than letting him grow out of it.  if it keeps happening talk to his doctor about options...

oh_crap1-1.gif picture by kbbgmom
SunnyJoJo
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

he could have had a nightmare the seemed real to him. Do you think he was still asleep? Could be night terrors?  I used to have vivid nightmares that would freak me out for days until I forgot them. 
I don't have any suggestions though, a nightlight helped me.

Our family is little and broken, but still good.

JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

You should change your title.  I almost didn't answer because it REALLY bugs me when someone puts a completely fake title in!

Sounds like night terrors or a nightmare to me.

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Nope and this is the first time its ever happened. And I don't know why he kept saying Dead over and over. I doubt he understands dead, but I don't know.

Quoting clhelms:

No it isn't normal.  He could be having night terrors or a nightmare.  Has he recently seen any scary movies or even a cartoon where this type of scene pops up?

Carrie

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Well when the title was simply night terrors, I had 4 views, 2 of which were mine. In about 10 minutes.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

You should change your title.  I almost didn't answer because it REALLY bugs me when someone puts a completely fake title in!

Sounds like night terrors or a nightmare to me.

katzmeow726
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

That sounds a lot like night terrors.  They don't really wake up (and it sounds like he was still "sleeping" for most of it.)  No matter how much you try to comfort them, they don't realize it.  It's a rough thing.  Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, they have to just grow out of it.   

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM

He has a nightlight, and at first I thought maybe he was still asleep, but he was completely awake.

Quoting SunnyJoJo:

he could have had a nightmare the seemed real to him. Do you think he was still asleep? Could be night terrors?  I used to have vivid nightmares that would freak me out for days until I forgot them. 
I don't have any suggestions though, a nightlight helped me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)