Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phone Interview.. cussing.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have been job hunting since I graduated in June... I got a phone interview today... Let me give you part of the transcript...

Her: What medical exp do you have?

Me: I completed my schooling with my college and a 160 hr externship in June.

Her: So you have no exp.

Her: Do you need benefits?

Me: I would like them.

Her: So I hear a child, how many do you have?

Me: (Thinking WTF you can't ask that what do I say) Yes, I have 3.

Her: How old?

Me: (Thinking, bitch you can't ask that) They are 9, 5, and 3

Her: So who is going to watch your 3 year old?

Me: (WTF?) His grandmother

Her: So your mom?

Me: No, my husbands grandmother.

Her? So how much do you want to make?

Me: $13 to $14hr

Her: Oh... I see... with no benefits?

Me: (at this point I was like well fuck I am not getting this job) My husband gets them from his work but we would like a better plan. So if your not offering them, then $13 to $14 with no benefits.

Her: So you have no medical exp.

Me: No

Her: Ok well we are interviewing about 5 people and then we will let you know.

Me: Ok Thank you.. (Thinking fuck you bitch)

Yeah so I am not getting that job. But WTF she can't ask that shit... and I googled... it was the Dr calling from her cell phone so it's not like I can call the office and complain. And how the fuck do I get exp? I need a fucking job! Oh and after a year of school and $13k I can't even make $13 fucking dollars an hour? Are you kidding me?? FUCK.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeysmom2003
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

what position where you applying for?

gabe11-14
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Unfortunatly that's the same way it was for me when I first graduated Nursing school, everyone wants experience nobody wants to train. What field are you in? I had to branch out and do private care, then as I got more clients I was able to branch over and enter nursing homes.

Gabriel is going to be 1 on November 14th!!!

MomofWildcats
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Medical Assistant.

The exp I get but I don't but I get it as a reason not to hire me. But the personal questions, damn. I hate phone interviews.

A_Renee
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I interview people often and no she can not ask those types of questions.  She is not suppose to ask about your children, especially their ages and who will be taking care of them....That's what we can SOUPY information....discrimination type topic: age, race, religion, gender, disabilities etc....I have had people bring up thier personal life during an interview and we are trained to immediately close that door....an interview should consist of  "The job requires X" "Can you do X"...

monkeysmom2003
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM

my dh has a medical assistant degree .. he got hire back in 2004  with a podiatrist at 7.50 an hour. he quit in may of this year he was at 8.75 .. he is now working as a telemarketing at 10 an hour..

Quoting MomofWildcats:

Medical Assistant.

The exp I get but I don't but I get it as a reason not to hire me. But the personal questions, damn. I hate phone interviews.

HLoeffler08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I didn't think they could

Quoting A_Renee:

I interview people often and no she can not ask those types of questions.  She is not suppose to ask about your children, especially their ages and who will be taking care of them....That's what we can SOUPY information....discrimination type topic: age, race, religion, gender, disabilities etc....I have had people bring up thier personal life during an interview and we are trained to immediately close that door....an interview should consist of  "The job requires X" "Can you do X"...

gabe11-14
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Quoting MomofWildcats:

Medical Assistant.

I agree the phone interview was a bit much. I've only ever been asked about childcare once and it was just if childcare would be a problem. not who was watching the kids, their ages etc.. I don't think phone interviews are ever great,But she was highly unprofessional.Hope your next interview goes better!

Gabriel is going to be 1 on November 14th!!!

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM

You didn't have to answer any questions about your kids.  Yes, it's best to be honest that you have kids but it's in no way that person's business who will be caring for them when you're working.

It's an invasion of privacy and not pertinent to the job that she know all the answers to the questions she asked about your family.

Also what a fucking moron, why was she asking everything multiple times.  If you don't get the job find out who her supervisor is and tell them to enroll her in listening and comprehension classes!

purplemoosemom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

You can report them to the labor board.  You could even call the person back who did the interview and tell him/her that the questions you asked me were illegal and that you are planning to report them to the labor board.  See what they say....

-xoxo-
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I've had this happen before, it sucks. I was just applying for a front desk job at a cheap hotel and the manager kept asking me all of these really personal questions over the phone. He wanted to know if I had a bf, if I was pregnant, and if I had any kids. It was really fucking rude, I feel your pain!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)