Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Begrudge Someone Their Beliefs?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok, I am a non-believer. I don't believe in the bible, I don't believe in the Christian God, none of that. HOWEVER, I don't think that people are wrong for believing they way they do and I'd never begrudge someone their beliefs.

I'm watching Wife Swap on Lifetime and one of the kids is a devout Atheist. That's fine. But he's telling the woman who swapped that her Christian beliefs are very wrong. I HATE that. I feel that people who are like that are the ones that give non-believers a bad name.

Do/have you ever told another person that their beliefs were wrong just because you don't agree with them?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
smarshy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I am an athiest and I just don't talk about religion. It is much easier that way. I forget that people are religious most of the time.

I as an athiest, could never explain fully why I think that another person's belief is wrong. It would take forever, and life is too short.

Kizbee
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Other people's beliefs are just as valid as mine.  Nobody knows the truth.  People who think their way is the only right way piss me off.

I really like your glass house!

mom2four1978
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I dis once begrudge someone their beliefs. A lady came to my house to proselytize. I politely told her that I do not believe in organized religion. She asked me why and I told her that I don't think that any one religion is right or wrong because no one really knows the truth. She agreed and then tried to give me pamphlet on how "other" religions are wrong. I then of course had to explain to her just how hypocritical and judgemental that was.

jackjack2.png picture by devilsadvocate1488

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I don't think I could ever tell someone their beliefs are wrong just b/c I don't agree with it. I'm Atheist, and I get told I'm wrong sometimes... I listen to other people when they tell thier point of view, why can't they listen to me? The only time I can say when someone else is wrong is when they try to push it on me after I tell them who I am.... Its just wrong and disrespectful. I have no problem with having a rational debate, with respect for the other.

That kid on wife swap is one of those who gives Atheists a bad nome.

Glitter TextGlitter Text

BigMamaHeidi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

The only two times in my life when I ever stood between a person and their beliefs was when dealing with men in the military who used obscure Bible passages to explain why they shouldnt have to take orders from women. I suspect that had I ranked more than 2 stripes on either of them, they might not have been so stupid as to use that sort of argument. Both times they ultimately followed my orders though ; )

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Other people's beliefs scare me when they try to enact legislation based on them, like trying to make contraception, stem cell research, ivf, abortion and gay marriage illegal.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I've never once told any one they were wrong for the way they believe.  I am a strong believer in everyone having the right to choose what they believe.  I will give my opinion when asked and I try to give that opinion as an opinion.  I am actually very interested in other ppl's beliefs. Have studied some religions on my own.  I love to research especially the origins of religions. I also love to hear other ppl's opinions. I read as many religios posts on here as I can because I am truly interested. Especially when someone has a reason they believe what they believe.  I also do enjoy an intelligent debate on points.  I wont debate right or wrong but specific points. I wont engage in a bash fest on anyone's beliefs even if they fall outside the realm of whats considerd normal or main stream.  I refuse to argue over the subject as well. Which means I tend to just read the religious posts.  Many turn hatefull and I can't respond to hate.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)