Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underground electric fence for dogs?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM
  • 21 Replies

Does anyone have one, or at least tried one. If you have, what brand did you get and did it work. I don't know how to keep my dog from digging out, and I'm at my wits end!! Thanks for any advice

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckypenny720
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

bump cause I wanna know to 

youngmamma11
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM

My fiances parents have a large lot of land.. and they have 5 dogs.. and they use Invisible Fencing. It works pretty well for them.. just the collars are like 200 dollars a piece.. so when one dog loses one it's quite expensive to replace.. although money really isn't a problem for them either..

jules3685
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM

ok first you need to understand that some dogs will do anything to get out. i had a dog that chewed through an electric fence while it was running on high. and he just wanted to get out... so if your dog has a high pain toleronce and a high drive to get out he will. they start to understand that it only shocks them so long... but i have never used underground so here is another bump too. 

mrsjoeljr
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Quoting youngmamma11:

My fiances parents have a large lot of land.. and they have 5 dogs.. and they use Invisible Fencing. It works pretty well for them.. just the collars are like 200 dollars a piece.. so when one dog loses one it's quite expensive to replace.. although money really isn't a problem for them either..

Wow that is very expensive. I've read that the Innotek (sp) brand a really good one, and the complete systems (wire, collar, transmitters) sell between $200 and $300.

CafeMom Tickers
butterflyblu
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM

My neighbor's back home at my parent's house had one.  It was a complete waste of money.  The dog just learned that when she got near the invisible fence line, she would run really fast so the shock was brief and then she was free.  My parents never got one because of the way their property is.  We always taught our dogs to stay home.  Our yard is currently fenced but we don't have a dog.

mrsjoeljr
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Quoting butterflyblu:

My neighbor's back home at my parent's house had one.  It was a complete waste of money.  The dog just learned that when she got near the invisible fence line, she would run really fast so the shock was brief and then she was free.  My parents never got one because of the way their property is.  We always taught our dogs to stay home.  Our yard is currently fenced but we don't have a dog.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm just frustrated with him, especially since we just spent $2,000 putting up a 6 foot privacy fence. I bought a remote control shock collar and used the vibrate mode and that sent him scampering, but it only worked if I caught him in the act. My dogs are house dogs, so when they're outside, it's because I need them there.

Maybe if I put the invisible fence a couple inches inside of our yard away from the fence. So, he'd have to run across then dig out?

CafeMom Tickers
MiSs.SmOkEy
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I dunno but I want one too.. We are getting a Dalmatian puppy tomorrow and I dont want it to get stolen or run away.. We have a fenced in back yard and I have a pad lock on the gate but Im still worried.. Someone stole our Dalmatian when I was little and I dont want it to happen again..

SunnyJoJo
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

we used the invisible fencing, the entire kit was like $150. We installed it ourselves but they have a hotline you can call and they will install it, sometimes they have specials and they will do it for free. It takes some patience and atleast a good week of really training and working with your dog getting to know the boundries. It worked really well with out dog but I've heard it doesn't work on some dogs.

There's also a thing out in the house through invisible fencing that uses sound. I know I saw an outside one but I have no idea who it's through or if it works well.

Oh and we got our kit at home depot, i see them there all the time for under $200..

oh and i've heard (we didn't have our dog long enough to find out though) that it won't work through deep snow. so I supposed if you live where you get alot of snow you'd have to shovel, but i have no idea if that's true or not.

Our family is little and broken, but still good.

alleganymomma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Quoting butterflyblu:

I have had two friends who had underground fencing and their dogs did the same thing...both were larger dogs, but I would be leary of buying one...I don't trust our dog with one due to the problems they had with their dogs...and also because he is a hound-lab mix who flips out when he sees any kind of animals like woodchucks, rabbits,etc...so I think he would run through just to get to one of them...we have to walk him on a leash at all times due to his behavior...

I'm a momma to a beautiful 18 month old little gal with a baby boy due VERY soon!

pregnant bellytoddler girl

ErikaM27
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Quoting MiSs.SmOkEy:

I dunno but I want one too.. We are getting a Dalmatian puppy tomorrow and I dont want it to get stolen or run away.. We have a fenced in back yard and I have a pad lock on the gate but Im still worried.. Someone stole our Dalmatian when I was little and I dont want it to happen again..

I have my dog fenced in and have had no problems especially with the gate locked my lab is sooo heavy I don't think no one could attempt to carry him over the fence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)