Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEED ADVISE ASAP REGARDING MY 10 YEARS OLD DS AND A SEVERE HEADACHE **(UPDATE)**

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son has had a severe headache since yesterday and nothing has helped so far he also had a small temp this morning and a cough. I have given motrin and tylenol and have already called the doc who told me just to keep giving him motrin and tylenol and has told me to give him 600mg of ibprofen to see if it helps it has not As of right now he is lying on his futon in a dark room with a cool washcloth on his head crying because his head hurts so bad what can i do for him or has anyone else experienced this with their child?

**UPDATE**

Thank you to everyone who gave good thoughts and advise for my son :) I ended up having to take him to the ER tonight after nothing I did worked and he was baled up in a fetal postion crying that his head hurt and complaining he felt dizzy he had also started to run a high fever He was tested and confirmed having the H1N1 virus and his severe migraine is coming from that :( They have put him on Temiflu (SP)

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElShaddi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Sorry no advice for you but hope he feels better soon. 

rayzensun
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

kids that age can get migranes too,

try excedrin migrane, it works wonders most times 

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
MandyOs
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I have migrane headaches that started when I was his age. I had to get an MRI for it to make sure my head was okay.

Rub his head for him. There's really not much you can do about it..

davidjames07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

try a hot wash cloth, and does he wear contacts or glasses?! does he strain to see that could cause headaches. I would try some goodies it doesnt taste very good, but its fast acting. dh gets those migraines sometimes and goodies or bc is the only thing that will work for him. try rubbing his head, it might be a tension headache. or get in a hot shower and let the water massage his head it will only help for a lil while but long enough for the meds to kick in. Good Luck mama.

mirandas_mom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Aww my gosh, poor little guy. I feel so bad for him, I used to get severe migraines and it's very painful. Try gently massaging his head, with your fingertips, around the forehead and sinus area, and around the temples and backs of his ears.Also try putting the cool washcloth on the back of his neck. I would say keep an eye on the temperature just to make sure he's not coming down with something like a sinus infection or flu. If he gets worse I would say take him to the doctor or ER.  

alishabear0808
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I dont have experience with kids in this situation, but I get migraines 3-4 times a week and if he has had it yesterday am I would recommend bringing him to the er... especially if nothing is helping him

coleysmama
by Lisa on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

My son had a few  at the beginning of this year( he's 11). He does wear glasses so had his eyes rechecked but there was no change. His pediatrcian said they were called cluster headaches. My poor son could barely stand up to go to his room. He would take a few advils and  lay down with no lights on at all he would feel much better when he woke up.

AndreaRUJuiced
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

My goodness, poor litte guy!!!

My son, who is also 10,  gets horrible headaches and migraines. I give my son the RediTab Claritin first - many times his headaches are brought on by his allergies or a food reaction -

It could be that he is coming down with the flu, or his body could just be reacting to the headache and fighting it with a fever. If the headache persists past 1 day, don't call, just take him to the doctor. Always better safe then sorry.

Here is my checklist of causes when his arise:

• Allergies
  • Food Reaction
  • Growing Pains (yep these can create major headaches too)
  • Illness (Flu/Colds)

Big Hugs - Good Luck!

Here's To Your Health!
MonaVie
www.acaistory.com/socal-mv
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
ItWorks - Home of "Get Your Sexy Back" Lose Inches in 45 Minutes
http://43670.itworks.net/amazing-products.aspx
www.itworks.net/SoCal-ItWorks
Starfire73
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Yeppers, My son gets migraines(He's 10). It started when he was 9. It got so bad one time I had to take him to the ER to get a demoral/morphine injection. He gets migraine meds scribed to him PRN.

Tell your doc, no scratch that, DEMAND that your doc give him SOMETHING! I feel for your little guy. Please keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Try putting a cold rag on the BACK of his neck too.

mamapotter
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Mu 10 y/o DD get's migraines.  Try 1 excedrine migraine, a warm washrag covering the eyes, and a dark, quiet room for 1/2 an hour.  Also, does he have allergies?  Hers are commonly allergy triggered.  She gets them at school whenever they mow the grass.  Perhaps a little benadryl would help him. 

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)