Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your kid is "too small" or "too big" what the heck are you supposed to do?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

I keep seeing posts concerned about height and weight on small children. My friend has small kids - her older girls are a little on the short side, and her youngest is tiny - like 3rd percentile tiny. All of them are proportionate though. My own daughter has a huge head - she has been holding steady at the 99th percentile for more than a year though.

I don't understand why doctors freak parents out about their kids not being "average" when there's not a damn thing they can do about it. What am I supposed to do about my daughter's head? It's just a big healthy head. My friend's girls are all healthy girls. Why does it matter that they aren't all hovering around the 50th percentile?

I understand that if they're super skinny, you want to get them to put on a little weight, and vice versa if they're a little too chubby...but seriously, why complain about height and head?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

My daughters doctor has never said anything long those lines. My biggest concern is finding age approprate clothes for my daughter. She is 7 years old very tall for her age.   I was actually told by one department store that because daughter was in such a small percentage that it would cost them more to provide clothes for my child and others like her. How the heck am i supposed to provide decent clothes for my child if i can't get them? 

joceangel
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Well the head size does matter.  Is there anything you can do about it?  Depends.  If you kids head is too small lets say they may find the the soft spot closed up to soon and the kid my need surgery.  If your kids head is to big then they are at greater risk of having autism.  So can you do anything about it?  Kinda.  You can be aware of the increased risk and make sure you dont miss any other warning signs to make sure you kid has early intervention.

gigglefiend121
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM

The only time I have ever had anyone tell me my son was to thin was WIC. All my doctors say he is on the small side but healthy, my husband was also small until he hit college. Seriously in highschool he was 5'9 and wighed 125lbs. As long as they are healthy it doesn't matter.

kiralyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

when my dd was leaving her cancer hospital we had one final meeting and the doctor asked me "so is there a reason her head is so big?" i was like uhh..thats how she was born? lol. i dont know what they expect you to do about a head.

ZanesMommy2008
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Quoting joceangel:

Well the head size does matter.  Is there anything you can do about it?  Depends.  If you kids head is too small lets say they may find the the soft spot closed up to soon and the kid my need surgery.  If your kids head is to big then they are at greater risk of having autism.  So can you do anything about it?  Kinda.  You can be aware of the increased risk and make sure you dont miss any other warning signs to make sure you kid has early intervention.

Can you please let me know where you've heard that? My son has always had a large head (off the charts large) and my doctor has never mentioned any correlation between the two (big head and autism).

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My pediatrician only goes by BMI now, the charts are outdated and only tell you where a child falls compared to other kids, who cares, what's important are their numbers not the numbers of children across the country!  As long as their BMI is between 18-24 they are considered healthy.  I have a 23, 19 and 17 on the BMI scale, so they are all relatively healthy according to my doctor!

nurbabe82
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My MD has never said a word about my son's size. He barely made it on the charts for his weight and height for his age. But he has 2 small parents. I am 5'3" and dh is 5'6". Dh's mom and my mom are shorter than me and his dad and I are the same height. My dad is only 2 inches taller than dh. So ds's size will forever be short. 

joceangel
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Yes give me one sec and i will give you a few links.  I should have been more clear.  It isn't when you kids head has always been big it is when they are born with little heads then all of a sudden their heads get big.

Quoting ZanesMommy2008:

Quoting joceangel:

Can you please let me know where you've heard that? My son has always had a large head (off the charts large) and my doctor has never mentioned any correlation between the two (big head and autism).

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Quoting ZanesMommy2008:

Quoting joceangel:

There are actually some studies out there

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130140127.htm

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

SOMETIMES a larger head could be hydroencephilus (sp?). Sometimes a disapportioned body is an indication of dwarfism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)