Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm one of many who owe money to someone ....* Question *

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

I recieved this letter in the mail today saying that the money that i owe to this  phone company was up for a settlemet offer . ( seems kinda funny to me ) DO you really think they are going to offer me to pay only a certain amount . I dont think ! So but maybe ...My total bill amount is $489.49 they are giving me the settlemet offer of only having to pay $244.75 , This just dont seem right at all to me . $489.49 is alot of money ! Then for them to send me a lettter saying... More less ..." Ahh your such a nice person Ashley We are only going to make you pay us $244.75"  WTH ! Now i've really never got a letter like this in the mail is it a Hoax ? What do you think .

The letter is from a Collections department . What do you think i should do . I know im going to have to pay it off soon But with Christmas and Birthdays Really Hurt us ! 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM

After some time, collection companies do try to work with the amount if they feel like they can get anything out of you.  Something is better than nothing. 

turkey dinnerBe thankful for what you have.

raegansmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I would call them.  Collection agencies can settle for less than the amount actually owed but I have never heard of them stating the amount on paper for you? 

MsDean
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

A lot of companies settle debt with people. I myself just got dh's credit card bill from 3,600 to 2,500 as long as we pay it by Nov. 30th. Dh and I have paid off so much debt and almost every one has been lower than what the debt was. If you can afford it you might as well take care of it. We are havign a really small Xmas but we will have all of hubbys debt paid by the end of the year.

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

That's how collections settlements work.  A friend of mine ended up paying off $1000 worth of debt (credit card) for about $400 because of a collection settlement.  They just want to recoup something. 

Just make sure you actually owe the money.  There's a scam where people are being sent collection settlements when they owe nothing at all.  We got a "collections settlement" offer for a cell phone bill when we never had service (no id theft either) with the company they were claiming to represent.  I think they used Sprint as the company they supposedly represented but I can't remember.

youngmamma11
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM

All they want is their money.. that's about it. They are really willing to work with you and set up something if you call and ask. I paid like 20 dollars a month to pay off some bad debt i racked up.

monkeysmom2003
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

we owned  to target about 200 and it was send to a collection office and we settle for around 129.00 .

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

After some time, collection companies do try to work with the amount if they feel like they can get anything out of you.  Something is better than nothing. 

atowers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

after not paying for so long they DO offer settlement offers.  my credit card is willing to settle for about a grand less than what i owe them but i just dont have the money.  call and talk to them about it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
BigBoMom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

its not a hoax they are just trying to get the bare minimum of what they need from you to cover their costs. but if you do pay they will sometimes try to get more but not usually.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)