Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is Memorial day for?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was in an agruement over someone who thought we should not celebrate Veterans Day (so this is where this post is coming from).   He however stated he belived in Memorial Day (May 30th) b/c its encompassed everyone who has fallen in service to our country not just military members. 

However I was looking around and found out that May 15th is Peace Officer's Memorial Day.  The week May 15th falls on is recongized as National Police Week.

While there is no congress recongized firefighter day (as far as I can tell) the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation reconginizes the first Sunday in October as Memorial Day for firefighters.

While I think that May 15th and the first Sunday in October need to be as big as Memorial Day. I think Memorial Day is intended to remember those who have fallen for our coutry as military members.

I was just wondering what others thoughts were on this subject.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
UncondtnlLove
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I agree with you. I agree taht those other days should be bigger than they are as well. 

*that

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I personally think Memorial Day should be a rememberance for anyone who has passed whether military, police, or your grandma.

turkey dinnerBe thankful for what you have.

MrsAMleibo
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Memorial Day
Memorial Day
The gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery are graced by U.S. flags on Memorial Day.
Type National
Date Last Monday in May
Observances Remembrance of American war dead

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who were in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the Civil War), it was expanded after World War I.

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

This is what we do.  We honor everyone who's passed on.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I personally think Memorial Day should be a rememberance for anyone who has passed whether military, police, or your grandma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)