Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is going to be missing 4.5 days of school for a wedding....

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

In Hawaii....

She has straight A's, never misses school ever, and she's 14 and in sports, etc.

So I'm wondering how I go about doing this...it's over thanksgiving week. Do I send a note early and is it like an unexcused absence or are they gonna be po'd? I know other kids go on vacations, but I never have,...I mean how does it work?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ksinclair
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I would personally just call & speak with her principal & make sure you jump through all the hoops so it is approved without any issues coming up later.

CafeMom Tickers
KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Talk to the school admins and find out the protocol.  I'd probably get a note ready for her file so they know her absence is coming up and why she's gone, and so her teachers know. 

mandi8806
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM

im not sure how it works at your dd school but when i was a sr a few years ago i went to fl for 3 school days and  my mom and dad had to write a note a week befor then i had to stop at the office and pick up a paper that had to have all of my teachers sigs on it saying they know i would be gone and they would have notes and homework ready for me when i got back

CafeMom Tickers
Bekah062205
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM

OMGOSH 4.5 days, Oh My....lol...kidding!! I would just write a note saying "Please excuse *daughters name* on *enter dates* due to a out of state function i must attend. If there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at *enter phone number(s)*. Thank You, Sincerely *your signature* " Thats all you need to do.

Starfire73
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

This.....

Quoting Bekah062205:

OMGOSH 4.5 days, Oh My....lol...kidding!! I would just write a note saying "Please excuse *daughters name* on *enter dates* due to a out of state function i must attend. If there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at *enter phone number(s)*. Thank You, Sincerely *your signature* " Thats all you need to do.

I've had to do that before too. The school was actually pretty understanding(even though they throw a shit fit over illnesses WITH a dr note!!!)

tashamomof3grls
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

at my daughters school they require a 3 day advanced notice for things like that. they even have a special form to sign.  so i would either call or send a letter in tomorrow.  when is the first day she i going to miss?

stefvan
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I'd send all her teachers an email and tell them she'll be out for a family function and that you need her assignments.

We took my dd out early because her dad's company was doing a family event.  That is how I handled it.  There were no problems.   

bablondie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Okay I'll send a note tomorrow. I'm just so nervous, she's never missed except for being sick and that's like never. I just don't know if they'll be mad, but I know other kids go to the Phillipines to visit family and so on...I told her dad to buy her tix and make sure she only misses 2.5 or maybe 3.5 days at the most, they bought it for an extra day so she's missing 2 days one week and 2.5 the next. Ugh...but she really wanted to go..and shes' a good kids so I said okay.

Quoting Starfire73:

This.....

Quoting Bekah062205:

I've had to do that before too. The school was actually pretty understanding(even though they throw a shit fit over illnesses WITH a dr note!!!)

HLoeffler08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Send a note and make sure it gets approved so she doesnt have unexcused absences

Xstitchinmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM

My two children missed four days of school last month to attend their grandparent's surprise 50th wedding anniversary party. At their school, I had to get a planned absence form, fill it out, and return it a week before we left. Then, the teachers wrote down all of their homework for that week and the principal signed it. They had lots of homework, but got it all done before we left for New York.

MICHELE-5.gif picture by Michele34_photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)