Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to get my kid...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM
  • 32 Replies

I want to get my son a small animal for christmas (we can't have cats and dogs in our appt, its a $500 non refundable dep.) He is 3 and not to bad with being rough when petting. I thought about a beta fish b/c they are easy to take care of and there is no way he can hurt it. But I also kinda want to get him used to others, like maybe a hamster? I used to have them when I was younger but I was a bit older than him and still got bit (and I accidentally killed my first one. :(  ) I love surgar gliders, but they are way to expensive. Any one else have any ideas on pets that might be appropiate for a 3 year old (handled only in my supervision)? Thanks! 

Glitter TextGlitter Text

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scout82
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I wouldn't get him a hamster.  They are very fragile.  My son had 3 in a two year span and they all died.  Maybe a rabbir, they stink, but if you have time to keep the cage really clean......or a gecko, they are pretty hardy

weezer_cookie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You could get him a chinchilla or a guinea pig.

~alyssa

I'm a breast AND formula-feeding, co-sleeping, non-cry-it-out, organic-food-loving, Yo Gabba Gabba and Dora The Explorer addicted, ENFP, extended-schedule vaxing, Obama-supporting, pro-choice, army-journalist  mommy to one adorable little monkey named Alana Michelle, born at 36 weeks on May 20, 2007!!

joshlor2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

bunny turtle lizard or maybe a ferret

LCWAmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

we got our kids a water dragon they anr good pets and never bit my kids they eat bugs and when the get bigger baby mice and have to have a large clean container of water to swim in and they like to be in high places like branches I used to let ours run around the apartment all the time  they kind of look like an iguana but don't get as big and are not mean

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Quoting weezer_cookie:

You could get him a chinchilla or a guinea pig.

I love chinchillas! But I only ever seen ones that wernt very nice (I do know they bond) Except one, it was so cute and actually let me pet it.

Guinea pig arnt bad.

teacup714
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

i have 3 chinchillas... they are easy to care for, and can sorta be trained to not be AS nocturnal as nature intended them to be... they dont smell (unless you dont clean the cage) and are very inteligent... they can be let out of their cage to run around (chinchilla proofing is almost the same as child proofing) and they love being scratched behind the ears (like a dog) they are intelegent creatures and can hold a grudge so be careful not to tick them off... i would say that the only draw back is that they kick their poop around (its like a hamsters poop, only a little bigger) so you have to vacuum more often. you need to keep them in a big cage so they have space to jump and play... and like any other rodent, they have to keep their teeth in check. they may not be the best with children, but if you get one that is really young, it can grow up with the child... they live for about 10 to 12 years.... and are really funny when you give them a dust bath (its the best part)

you have to make sure that you give them the proper kind of food, and also hay... you can give raisins as treats (so they are great to have as an after school companion cuz they can share with your kid lol...) they also are very heat sensitive, so if it gets warm outside, make sure that you have a fan facing the cage. i hope this helps... they are amazing, and so much fun to have.... the only draw back i have with them is that i have to give them back to my brother as soon as he finds an apartment off capus (he goes to SIU) although, he is only getting 2 of the 3 back... i wont let him have all 3 anymore....

hope this helps

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Quoting scout82:

I wouldn't get him a hamster.  They are very fragile.  My son had 3 in a two year span and they all died.  Maybe a rabbir, they stink, but if you have time to keep the cage really clean......or a gecko, they are pretty hardy

A gecko? I've never really been around them, they are cute though. I had a frog once, Ash was really too small so I just put it on his shirt, he was slimey and he didn't wanna touch it. lol.

Tracie1984
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I think a turtle or lizard is a great idea, but you have to keep in mind that they carry salmonella. I had ferrets growing up and I loved them, but they are high maintenance. Ferrets also have very long spinal columns, if you aren't careful they can be easily damaged...

Quoting joshlor2:

bunny turtle lizard or maybe a ferret

ElyannasMom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

what about a reptile of somesort. Little boys get a kick out that kind of stuff! Something that doesn't bite though.

bnj03
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Chinchillas are good if they are aruond human touch a lot. Ours is awesome with my 9 month old but we also had him from day 1(sold dad and mom died). Guine(sp) are good. Also I dont know how you feel about reptiles but at the camp I worked we had a Mountain Horned Dragon Lizard that was great with the kids and he was very calm. Also Igunas(sp) are good too. We had one when I was growing up and he was awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)