Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Timeout Doesn't Work

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

What can I do?  My kid is out of control a lot of the time (I should get him to a doc for ADHD advice), ppl say he's wilder than a March Hare.  I've been doing timeout for a couple of weeks and am ready to start taking away toys as well.  Tried a little spanking, but he asks for more...  lol!   HELP!

History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. - Giulian Buzila

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mayzell
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

How old his he? And has he always been this way?

Maybe you should try a very strict routine around your house ya know, like at this time we read ,after that snack , then clean up .And so on like that .So has structure.. not saying he does not ,but this is what helped my 4yo!

Lilcountrygrl86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Im sorry...I have no idea. I am sorta in the same boat as you. I have a two and half year old daughter and she is really testing our patiance latley. She dont listion, I have to yell at her, tell her nuerous times to do stuff or stop getting into things. Its driving me crazy. She gets swated on the butt, putt on timeouts. Its crazy cause she is an angel for my mom. But for me she really thinks she dont have to listion...she flat out ignores me at times. She yells/sreams back at mem, gives me dirty looks, tells me no. Its frustrating. I am expecially irritable right now due to being 29 weeks preggo. I dont know what I am gonna do when the new baby comes. I imagine it will be far worse then casue she is use to all the attention being on her so she will test me more....

So I feel you on this issue, all I can do is hope this phase ends soon. I chalk it up to terrible twos. She is very smart and hard headed too...not a good combonation in a two year old with a mind of her own.

sharebearII
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Yeah.  I definitely need structure and a schedule.  I've always been against planning, being organized, and all that silly stuff.  lol!  It's time to change.  ...a couple of months ago I learned that instead of feeling bad about things not being done for the whole day I can get them done quickly and feel good about it all day.  What a revelation!  OMG! 

He's 4 now, and has always been a real handful.

kyco363
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Time out always worked for me and still does at four... so I am of no help but

-BUMP-

Good luck!

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

OMG that is my sister when she was from 2-4.  She was a royal terror.  My mom actually considered giving her up for adoption because she was so bad.  My mom just had to keep on her, and so did everyone else in the house.  She grew out of it for the most part - until she hit puberty, thankfully that crap's over.

sharebearII
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Quoting Lilcountrygrl86:

Im sorry...I have no idea. I am sorta in the same boat as you. I have a two and half year old daughter and she is really testing our patiance latley. She dont listion, I have to yell at her, tell her nuerous times to do stuff or stop getting into things. Its driving me crazy. She gets swated on the butt, putt on timeouts. Its crazy cause she is an angel for my mom. But for me she really thinks she dont have to listion...she flat out ignores me at times. She yells/sreams back at mem, gives me dirty looks, tells me no. Its frustrating. I am expecially irritable right now due to being 29 weeks preggo. I dont know what I am gonna do when the new baby comes. I imagine it will be far worse then casue she is use to all the attention being on her so she will test me more....

So I feel you on this issue, all I can do is hope this phase ends soon. I chalk it up to terrible twos. She is very smart and hard headed too...not a good combonation in a two year old with a mind of her own.

You sound like me a couple of years back.  Except for the pregnant part...  I don't know what I'd do with TWO of them...  lol!  I definitely feel for you!   I keep thinking the same thing, it's going to end someday, he'll wise up and start listening to me and doing what I say (before he walks right off a cliff with me yelling at him to stop, hopefully!).  This is so hard!   ...and DH is upset that I can't control him....   Rrrr! 

MammaRed
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

There are other things you can take away other than toys -- which we definitely have had to do if my three year old is decides to be a smart mouth before/during/after time out.  This rarely happens, but every now and then he has an off day.

Sometimes I will take away movie/TV priveledges for after dinner.  Maybe he won't be allowed to listen to his favorite CD during naptime.  Maybe if he is really out of control I won't take him to the park.  No dessert after dinner/lunch,etc.  There are a mutlitude of things.  Depending on the severity of his wrongdoings, there might be certain stuffed animals/blanket or other treasured items that might drive the point home if they were taken away.

You just have to find out what your son's hot button is.  Don't worry, there are some punishments that will work, you just have to make them child-specific.  Hang in there and good luck!

ETA: It takes some creativity and a whole lotta patience, but I have not had to yet lay a single hand on my son.  (The teen years might be fair game however)  If there is a tantrum brewing or you feel overwhelmed, you need to put him in a quiet room (not necesarily his room) until you both calm down. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
sharebearII
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Quoting MammaRed:

There are other things you can take away other than toys -- which we definitely have had to do if my three year old is decides to be a smart mouth before/during/after time out.  This rarely happens, but every now and then he has an off day.

Sometimes I will take away movie/TV priveledges for after dinner.  Maybe he won't be allowed to listen to his favorite CD during naptime.  Maybe if he is really out of control I won't take him to the park.  No dessert after dinner/lunch,etc.  There are a mutlitude of things.  Depending on the severity of his wrongdoings, there might be certain stuffed animals/blanket or other treasured items that might drive the point home if they were taken away.

You just have to find out what your son's hot button is.  Don't worry, there are some punishments that will work, you just have to make them child-specific.  Hang in there and good luck!

ETA: It takes some creativity and a whole lotta patience, but I have not had to yet lay a single hand on my son.  (The teen years might be fair game however)  If there is a tantrum brewing or you feel overwhelmed, you need to put him in a quiet room (not necesarily his room) until you both calm down. 

Great advice, Mamma.  :)  Thanks!

It will yet be the proud boast of women that they never contributed a line to the Bible.

- George W. Foote
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)