Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn feeding schedule? Need your advice!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Do/Did you use a newborn feeding schedule?

Options:

Yes, every 2-3 or 3-4 hours

Nope, on demand nursing only here!

I used a combination of schedule and on demand

I used on demand until a certain age and then did a schedule after a certain age

Other...please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

My friend was talking to me and said she had decided on doing a newborn feeding schedule.  I am not going to go into detail about what or why I believe, I want to show her this thread and let her see others' opinions without me influencing (or seeming to).  I'm also sincerely curious to see what others do!  I should probably mention she's planning to nurse.

Please tell me why or why not you would do a newborn feeding schedule.  Extra credit if you have links or doctor's opinons/research backing up your opinion.

Thanks ladies, I appreciate it!

*EDIT: sorry I worded that kooky, I fixed it!

Richly Blessed to be living my real life love story with my soulmate Brandon.  AP Mommy to my precious gifts from God Rinoa (12'06) and Alora (11'08) and hoping for many more

*A child who has their needs met completely learns to be trusting and confident.  A child that is forced to be independent before they are ready learns to fear abandonment.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I nursed all of mine whenever they wanted to.  Ready to serve, perfect temperature, good for ya.  ;)

Grape bubblegum-loving, late-deafened adult with three hilarious and beautiful little breastfed, extended rear facing, public-school attending girls.  Stop reading now.  I love pizza so much I want to marry it, remember who shot J.R. and where Mork was from.  I mean it, stop reading.  I don't hear voices as much as I hear rounds of applause and take a bow in the middle of a sentence.  I root for the Steelers and the Crimson Tide and I toot for the beans they make me do so.  You're really bad at following directions.  I read lips and know some sign language.  Yes, that one, too.  I'm a homogenized milk drinking, lactose tolerant, recycling, casserole making mom with a special place in my heart for Stephen King and Jim Henson.  I believe in the boogeyman and have danced with the devil in the pale moonlight.  I support polyesbianism, my motto is "the more the merrier".  I believe all people are created equal but some are just more fun to be with.  I have only lived in Iowa and Wisconsin and I love corn and cheese.  I've never tipped a cow more than 15%.  If you've made it this far, you clearly have enough time on your hands to read it again.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I have always done on demand nursing. My oldest son put himself on a schedule around 6-8 months and he was great with it. My 10mo old still takes way to many bottles but he is growing so I'm not going to let  him cry just because he is hungry.

I have noticed that schedule fed babies sleep through the night much earlier though. GL

norahsmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I nurse exclusevely, and there is no way we could do a schedule.  I am not going to tell a 3 week old baby no to food because it isn't time yet.  I feed her when she is hungry.  Babies don't over eat.  They eat when they are hungry and don't when they're not. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

joshlor2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

mymson was bottle fed and he had a bit of a schedule of about every 3-4 hours and that spaced farther and farther apart the older he got....by dd was nursed and she was on demand but her demand was about every 2-3 hours and that spaced out as well......I think people get a preconcieved notion of things before they are really parents like my kid will know no to play with the things on the table I will never remove them...or My child will be on a schedule as soon as I bring it home.....telling then different will only cause a strain in the relarionship....they will learn, besides as mush as you want you baby to only eat every 3-4 hours but listening to them scream is not very realistic either

celticreverie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Newborns have tiny tummies. Putting them on a schedule can leave them starving, malnourished, etc. (forcing them to a schedule). 

i am an on demand nurser. becka never put herself on a schedule but Taegen has one that she created, and I just go with the flow.

I did know someone who fed her newborn every 3 hours.. even if the baby was crying and rooting at 2 hours, she wouldn't feed the baby. :( it was AWFUL to watch and not the way to treat a newborn. 

My pediatrician, the one I had for Becka and the new one now, both agree with on demand feedings. Newborns don't eat a lot, they can't, so it can digest quickly and they can be hungry again at different times. Schedules aren't healthy for a newborn..(strict schedules... encouraging a schedule the baby begins to develop wont be a problem).

this is taken from KidsHealth.org

our newborn should be nursing eight to 12 times per day during about the first month. In the beginning, mothers may want to try nursing 10 to 15 minutes on each breast, then vary the time as necessary.

Once your milk supply is established, breastfeeding should be "on demand" (when your baby is hungry), which is generally every 1 to 3 hours. As newborns get older, they'll need to nurse less frequently — some may feed every hour and a half, whereas others may go 2 or 3 hours between feedings. For babies who are getting formula, they'll likely take about 2 to 3 ounces every 2 to 4 hours. Newborns should not go more than about 4 hours without feeding.

audriesmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM

My 8 month old is still an on demand nurser.  She nursed last night from 6:30-8:30.  She had her eyes closed but could not go to sleep.  I would never not let her nurse just because it wasnt the right time to.

Joslyns_mommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

i nursed Joslyn every1.5  hours at first, then 2 hours and then moved her to every 3 hours. She slept through the night pretty early on and I did not wake her at night to nurse... only woke her during the day to nurse.

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

hautemama83
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I always nursed on demand. Newborns especially need to be nursed on demand for two reasons, one to help build and regulate your supply, and two because they have tiny tummies and ever baby digests differently. Hell I STILL nurse on demand with my 15 month old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Rigid feeding schedules can be DANGEROUS to Babys Health! Babies can become dehydrated, malnourished and they can lose weight and essentially starve. Feeding on demand ensures that your baby is fed every time He or She is hungry. Infants have tiny stomachs that need very frequent feedings, sometimes they need to be fed every 20 minutes, sometimes its an hour in between, etc. Babies dont eat for the heck of it , babies eat because they are hungry , feeding an infant on demand does not spoil a baby , it ensures that the baby gets the food it needs when he or she needs it.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Momof3smoochies
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Babies eat when they're hungry! I don't know who came up with that they need a schedule. That's rediculous and dangerous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)