Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM's.....how many of you get static about it?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM
  • 33 Replies

I am a SAHM and a full time college student returning to college after 10 yrs for a second degree. I have been a SAHM for 3 years, since I had our 4th child. I have to hear all kinds of crap from the in-laws about not working. Anyone else have to deal with this? If so, how do you deal with it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

*My lil one will be off to school by the time I graduate, so I will be going back to work then! I love staying home right now, I missed a lotof things withthe older kids when they were young because I was working.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuickMomma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Nope I don't have to hear anything about me being a stay at home mom.It wasn't just my decision for me to stay home,SO also decided it was best for me to stay home so they know they better then to say anything about it.

MiSs.SmOkEy
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Not from my inlaws but from my step mom.. I really think shes just jealous becuz she keeps asking my dad if she can stay home and he keeps telling her no..

anetrnlov
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Well it is hard to say...my husband doesn't really talk to his parents often.

I am sure his father would have something to say about it but quite frankly the man is evil and a waste of space...I could care less what he thinks.

I don't think my MIL would say anything negative about it.

wedding website

gulfcoastmom4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Every now and then MIL will through in her comments.

"Oh this place is hiring"

or my personal favorite

"I thought you were the spoiled one"

Jackie1562
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

When we didnt have our place to live and we were living at my grandmas for a few months to save up they used to talk soo much crap to me they said it wasnt fair that their son is working his ass off while i stay at home and spend the money i told them i understand they dont wanna see their son busting his ass but it was also his decision he is the one that pushed the subject on me to begin with and if they didnt like it then they should keep their mouth's shut.....His mom was a sahm they suffered big time cuz of it even though we are not like they were theyre just worried so i just ignored it...they still make comments here and there but like i said i just ignore it

PLATINUM_BEAUTY
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Congrats and good for you!

I don't get crap from my inlaws about being a SAHM, but honestly I do not put them in any position where they feel their opinions are warranted or wanted.  Does that make sense?  I've been told I intimidate others and I find it to be LOVELY at times.  This is one of them.  If they offer their opinions change the subject or give quick, short answers to show your lack of interest in what they say.  Also, speak to your husband about it and how it makes you feel.  He should be the one to put a stop to their comments if anyone.  

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Why would a mother in law want her daughter in law to go to work?  Does she think it will allow her son to work less?

briansmommy7143

I work, but I think it would be a safe bet to say that if I didn't, my inlaws would have something to say about it. It wouldn't bother me though... what we choose as best for our family is OUR choice.

karma.jpg Karma image by Wozny_01

MommaMelly17

My in-laws give me crap about anything and everything. So I totally know how you feel. I just don't go around them very much at all. I wish I could be of more help though.

audriesmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Luckily my in-laws are very much for moms staying home.  Both my SIL's stay home.  My mom loves that I can Stay home also.  I never get grief about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)