Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else do this?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

After a conversation with my mom, I have to ask a question.

Does anyone else tell their infant/toddler what you're feeding them? Like when I give DS something new that he hasn't had before, I'll tell him what it is, like "this is chicken noodle". When he's eating something he's had before, I'll say like "good green beans!" and stuff like that.

I don't think I'm wierd or anything (well, about this anyways), I was just wondering if I was the only one who did this. 

This is My Little Stinker
 WOTC_Ribbon_PNG.png image by SilverMoonBaby

"The good ol days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." ~Billy Joel

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jillayna21
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I always tell my girlies what I am giving them.  And if I want them to try something that they aren't so interested in.  I tell them to try it that it taste's like crab's.  (they love crab legs).

MixedCooke
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:17 AM

My daughter has been saying "what is that?" since before she could walk after "Mama" it was her first words!  She will usually ask her or if it is new I will tell her.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM

How else will they learn what it is (the food) is called?  lol.... Sometimes i tell her or i wont if i want her to taste it first.  DD will even pick out the side course of dinner most nights.

SexyPackerMama
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM

yes i started my 5 mo on solids about 2 months ago and i tell him all the time what i am feeding him. 

ZoasMama
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM

I still do that with my 3 yr old. She is a very picky eater, but every night for dinner I offer her what I made for DH and I and tell her what it is and whats in it. I have since I started her on baby food.

Its never to early to start communicating! Even over silly things...

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Quoting ZoasMama:

I still do that with my 3 yr old. She is a very picky eater, but every night for dinner I offer her what I made for DH and I and tell her what it is and whats in it. I have since I started her on baby food.

Its never to early to start communicating! Even over silly things...

That's what I thought. My husband keeps telling me "i don't know why you talk to him like that, it's not like he understands". I tell him that it's just how I do, and it doesn't matter if he understands, he'll pick up speech better if I talk to him.

"The good ol days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." ~Billy Joel

lyrick24
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM

your husband is wrong. you are doing the right thing and it will help him with his speech. how else will he learn. i always talked to my kids that way since the day they were born and they could speak well at a very young age.

yourgie
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I did it when mine were little- I still do it now (they are 3 and 4).  I also did the open mouth thing when you feed the baby- you know when you bring the spoon up to your LO mouth and you open your mouth, I guess to show them how to do it LOL!

wedding web site

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Quoting lyrick24:

your husband is wrong. you are doing the right thing and it will help him with his speech. how else will he learn. i always talked to my kids that way since the day they were born and they could speak well at a very young age.

yeah I know he's wrong. He's a stubborn old cuss though. I just tell him to leave me & my baby alone. :) The baby & I have our own little conversations, it's cute. I'm not ashamed to talk to my son (like all the time), it might be wierd to some, but it's normal to us, so we're gonna carry on talking lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)