Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To the moms with dogs....some questions.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

i have never had to train a dog. we just got a 3 month old puppy. he is not fully trained to go potty outside. cause he is big...or going to be. we are crate training him. he is in the crate at nite. i dont need him destroying the house while we are sleeping. any advice would be welcomed. like i said i am new at this and dont really know what i am doing.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM

With puppies - we trained on paper and transitioned to outside - this was before kids though, so that may not be an option.  Take the puppy out a lot and treat when he goes potty outside.  After you feed him, take him out about 20 minutes after.  Only scold when you catch him in the act of going potty inside - otherwise he won't know why he's in trouble.

allyson2212
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM

We crate trained also, and let them take naps during the day. Make sure you take him out as soon as he gets done eating, and get him on a regular eating schedule. NEVER use physical discipline when it comes to training a dog, it sends the worst mixed messages and will take you much longer to get them trained. Leash train him while he is young, and if you have kids let them hand feed him as much as possible so he will learn to be gentle with little (and big) hands. I encourage rough housing (to an extent) with the kids while he is still a puppy. That way he can learn limits and patience with them at an early age. Good luck, and have patience!!

my2girls516
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Good advice from the 2 previous posters!!  there is also a Dog lover's group on here that may be able to give you even more advice.  Enjoy your new puppy!!

]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)