Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When blind people are sleeping, do they see their dreams?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'd call my Uncle to ask him but I can't afford the long distance charges. He's blind and both of his wives were blind as well. I happened to come across this question on another site and wondered why I'd never thought of asking it before.

I could understand if someone could see and then became blind, that they would see in their dreams, but what about those who are blind from birth? Are their dreams just black with voices?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
retsillacam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I've always wondered this.

kandy800
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Good question, I'd like to know too

StillMagnolia
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

bump

IhartU
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Maybe I will have to call him if no one knows.

yesitsme311
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Very frigin' interesting question. Let us know what you find. Actually I am just going to google it right now.

jenniepepsi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:50 PM

People who are blind do dream. The dreams of people who have been blind from a very early age (called “congenital blindness”) tend to be different from those who are blind now but had sight before. Those who are congenitally blind often have dreams that include more instances of sounds. Both groups experience dreams as imaginatively rich as those of sighted people.

Whether or not congenitally blind people dream in images has been studied, but the findings have been mixed – some studies conclude that congenitally blind people do not dream visual images, while other reports conclude that they do.

Helen Keller addressed the topic of dreams in her landmark work, The Story of my Life. Her dreams are discussed in Part. III, Chap. V

alwaysyoung
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Quoting kandy800:

Good question, I'd like to know too

IhartU
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Quoting jenniepepsi:

People who are blind do dream. The dreams of people who have been blind from a very early age (called “congenital blindness”) tend to be different from those who are blind now but had sight before. Those who are congenitally blind often have dreams that include more instances of sounds. Both groups experience dreams as imaginatively rich as those of sighted people.

Whether or not congenitally blind people dream in images has been studied, but the findings have been mixed – some studies conclude that congenitally blind people do not dream visual images, while other reports conclude that they do.

Helen Keller addressed the topic of dreams in her landmark work, The Story of my Life. Her dreams are discussed in Part. III, Chap. V

So it's not conclusive one way or another if they actually have visual dreams... interesting.

Tatum2U
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Quoting jenniepepsi:

I just read this also. I thought the topic was really interesting. anyway after reading this I went back to google and a bunch of other sights say they definitly do not dream in images which seems sad , so I hope this one is closer to right or true.

oh and here is the link for this article - http://www.afb.org/message_board_replies.asp?topicid=638&folderid=3

thDarwinFis4.jpg picture by kim0921_photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)