Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms that work overnights. I have a question

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

Im thinking about working the 11pm-7am shift because I will get 2 dollars more an hour and the work would be less stressful. My question for you is how do you get sleep in with having kids. What time do you go to sleep and what time do you wake up.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SusanD
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I work 3rd shift, but I am only part time meaning that I get off at 2-3 am or so. I get up with my oldest at 6:45 and take him to school and then me and the 3yr old come home and go back to sleep until time for him to get up. I have him on a late schedule where he goes to bed a little later but then gets up a little later because of this. Then if he naps, I nap. I can't sleep during the day because I go to college during the day.

gobimom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I'm a nurse and I work daylight but my friends that work nights treat it just like any daylight job....they work, go home and take the child to a babysitter for their "sleep" cycle and then pick them up.  If you choose to work nights you will need to form your own routine. 

Mami2Zoe
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Thank you for the advice

AJmum
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I did a baylor shift when my daughter was small. I would work 7 pm to 7 am sat and sun then wed I did a reg 11-7. The hardest one was that 11-7. On th weekends my DH would keep my daughter busy so I could sleep but on that Wed I was miserable until he got home, she was 2 not old enough for me to take a nap. But I have thought that when both of my children are school age it would be a good plan. I could sleep while they were at school, be there when they get off the bus and go to work when they go to sleep.

momma2-3boys
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I worked a form of night shift, it was 7 pm - 2 am. 

My son was 8 weeks old then and I would come home and go to bed by 3 am then wake up when my son would get up (my husband woke up with him during the night until he left for work).  I would take naps whenever he slept to get the most sleep I could. 

It was exhausting but it helped with not having to pay childcare cost at the time. 

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I am a police officer and I work 6:30pm-6:30am.  I manage it pretty easily but that is because my daughter is in school (she is 8).  So I sleep while she is at school and wake up in time to pick her up.  I'm not quite sure when I would sleep if she wasn't in school!

MixedCooke
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Actually I do work a similar schedule to what you are thinking about at 1130PM until 730am.  i am home by the time my daughter, who will be 2 this weekend, is awake and take care of her from the moment she gets up until my husband gets home at 630pm.  I get most of my errands done in the morning and she usually goes down from noon until 3pm and I go down about 1230pm or 1pm because I need to wind down.  Then we are up straight from 3 until 630pm when he gets home, give him a kiss hello, how was work, then head to bed but do not go down until 7 or 730pm.  I am up by 1045pm and out the door by 1115pm.  I sleep in on Saturdays while he watches her in the morning.  On Sundays, I pretty much sleep most of the day.

I average about 5 to 6 hours weekdays broken into 2 naps.  It is extra money and less stressful but is detrimental to your health because you are flipping the natural order of things, leading you to diabestes, high blood pressure and insomnia.  If you are in a relationship, it can be harmful as well because you spend so little time together.  Weigh the pros and the cons before making a final decision.  My friend gained 10 pounds for every year she worked the night shift.

I do get to be home all day with my daughter and with the H1N1 out there it has given me peace of mind as well as saved on daycare costs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)