Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is the right time to get a child tested for ADD,or ADHD? Anyone child has either or knows anything about these?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 6yr old I think has some of the signs of ADD, or ADHD(one of them not sure which one).   Like he has Difficulty following instructions,tendency to lose things,fidgety, EXCESSIVE TALKING IN SCHOOL(his teacher says she can't get him to stop talking), blurting out answers .  Those are the signs I have noticed.  How can I get the doctor to take me serious about checking him out for ADD, or ADHD?  I said something to his doctor a while back and he said the school has to notice it and say something(is that true).  His teacher says it's just the excessive talking going on.  What can I do to get him the help? Who to turn to?  How does the process go? THANKS!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mitch576
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM

you bring him to a children's hospital that has what is called a "neurodevelopment clinic"

there he will be seen by the following.

a developmental pediatrician, a speech pathologist, an audiologist, and occupational therapist. a psychiatrist, a special educator and a neurologist.

they will evaluate him.. perform i.q. tests and come back to you with what is called a "team eval" this will break down all of the tests and sum them up.. providing you with a diagnosis.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Viperkaylin
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

There have been so many misdiagnoses of ADD and ADHD because so many parents (I'm not saying you necessarily) think their child is overactive when they are actually just normal children. I personally would not get my child evaluated until at least age 8 and that's only if I had tried everything else. So pretty much good luck because so many docs are sick of parents saying their child has ADD or ADHD. I think they are taking what the school says into account also.

ShadowLark
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Quoting mitch576:

you bring him to a children's hospital that has what is called a "neurodevelopment clinic"

a developmental pediatrician, a speech pathologist, an audiologist, and occupational therapist. a psychiatrist, a special educator and a neurologist.

they will evaluate him.. perform i.q. tests and come back to you with what is called a "team eval" this will break down all of the tests and sum them up.. providing you with a diagnosis.

This.  Honestly, from your description, he might just be bored in class!  But an actual eval will let you know for certain one way or the other.  GL!

ajzuell
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM

So I must have a doctors referral to see those doctors right?

Quoting mitch576:

mitch576
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM

no.. you can call the hospital's help line and they will set you up with a "social worker" who will help you file all of your insurance info and get the ball rolling for you.

Quoting ajzuell:

So I must have a doctors referral to see those doctors right?

Quoting mitch576:

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)