Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All you mommas who support (or help support) your families, I have a ?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM
  • 24 Replies

I read in the PA post that another lady had that a lot of you have careers doing one thing or another. What I'm interested in is what field you work in? What did you go to school for (if you did)? I know some ladies said they have a very marketable degree.....well, in what?? I'm going to school right now, and I'm hoping I chose a good field to make a career in. So what do you do? Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I should add that the degree I'm pursuing is a Bachelors in Business Administration with a major in Accounting.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shecallsmemom04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM

criminal justice, currently a semester away from my masters. 

if you really want to know about me, just read my personal statement on my profile, it's easier. :-)
CallieLynsMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Well, as of right now I have three jobs, lol. I work at Disney, work as a tutor, and work part time at our local history museum. I have two B.A. degrees, one in Anthropology and another in History. I start work on my M.A. in Public History next August, I'm looking to go into the interpretive history field.

Most people don't think a history degree is marketable but, if you go to graduate school it definitely is and you can also become a teacher. I choose to tutor because I can basically set my own hours and at least somewhat make my own lesson plans and curriculum to follow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
Katenemsmom

Do not go into teaching.  My degree is in liberal studies and is worthless except for elementary school teacher.  My husband has an accounting degree, much more marketable. Business degrees are good, but an accounting degree can do finance, business, accounting and probably more.

BrTupac

Sorry, no degree here.  I've worked in retail since I was 16 and I've been there a little over 10 years now!

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM

No degree here.  I am currently an Accounting Manager for a tile, marble & granite company.  I have been here for 2 years.  Previously I worked at an accounting firm for 9 1/2 years.  I have just worked my up and gained experience.  I started as a general office manager at a candy manufacturer and went from there.  Education is important, but experience is important, too.

carlyallen
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I'm getting my bachelors in Social Work and will go on for my Masters. There are a lot of fields and areas that you can work in with a SW degree. It's one that has to be your calling though. :) Good luck to you!

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I'm a housewife (or Domestic Goddess according to Roseanne) - no kiddies atm, my husband's finishing his degree (he's in the army) and then it's my turn.  I have a paralegal degree that's about as useful as a box of bellybutton lint.  I'll be going back for something criminal justice related.

sweetpea1269
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I currently work FT, clerical.  I'm going to school to be a Registered Nurse.

junebug624
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I went to Penn State and got a BS in Business Management which is nice because its a broad degree... that said I cant find a local job and I'm actually planning for a career (or at least a short stint) in the Navy as a comissioned officer. 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

SurvivingMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I'm currently in school for Law Enforcement... it's my passion, but it's going to have to take a back burner because it's not enough money to live comfortably on.. I'm thinking of switching my major to Business Management, but I'm still doing some research on the topic, to find out what I can make, how I can make it etc.

I currently work retail and I love it, I support my son and myself, tho we do recieve caresource. I am not ashamed to admit that because my son needs medical and I cannot afford it.. Hopefully within the year we will no longer recieve assistance, but for my son I will continue to hold my head high as I walk into the welfare office, because I'm not afriad to admit I need help when it comes to my son...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)