Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this labor or am I a big baby?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM
  • 31 Replies

I know I've been having contractions because I did a non-stress test at the doctor on Wednesday, but they aren't BIG contractions, says the doctor. I hadn't even noticed them.  All day I've been feeling crampy, kind of like when you have a stomach bug and have to go to the bathroom badly? It'll come and go, and sometimes leave me with a burning feeling in my sides like when you go running. It's mostly annoying but I'm also a big baby for pain. Honestly, how will I KNOW when it's "time?" I don't want to show up at the hospital too early, and the pattern of my pain is almost too erratic to time. The doctor said my water may not break on its own.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Well for me contractions were PAINFUL. I started with light ones I could barely feel, but when it was active labor I had PAIN, and wanted that epi. My water bag had to be broken too.  

Kairi is 3!      turkey

goodson_2008
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I would go in to the hospital sounds like you might be going into labor

JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Doesn't sound like the real thing to me.  The real thing isn't erratic.

ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Have you had any sort of bloody show today, like when you wipe, there's a little mucous tinged with blood?   

Have you had like the biggest bowel movement EVER, today? 

Those were both really good signs that labor was close for me...three times. 

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Don't worry, you will know when it's time. The contractions will get stronger, and closer together. When you are in true labor, you will know it. It is unmistakeable pain. Good luck. It may be happening soon though, the crampy, feeling like you have to go to the bathroom is how my labor started with my youngest. =)

CarterMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM

even if it's a little erratic and youa re concerned start timing (you can look up ones online so it's easier cause they do it for you, you just push a button). for me my contractions were never really regular and with my 3rd they were like 3 minutes apart before they got really painful (and so i waited and almost had him in the car) it's better to be safe than sorry and to go in early than wait too long - good luck 

ETA - even if htey are erratic you'll notice a pattern of them getting closer together if you are timing so the longer you time the better                 

Thinking about having one more baby but not sure? Then join us @ ONE more or NO more!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ONEmoreorNOmore

ColieO
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I didn't know it was "time". I was just really uncomfortable, couldn't find a comfortable position, and thought I was having BH contractions. They didn't hurt, it just felt like I was being smothered.

I ended up giving birth 6 hours later.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Oooh, yes I had these signs too. I wouldn't just go rushing off to the hospital though, until you know it's time though. If not you could just sit there for hours just to be sent back home until things start getting going better on their own..

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Have you had any sort of bloody show today, like when you wipe, there's a little mucous tinged with blood?   

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I've been going to the bathroom all day(sorry if TMI) and it never relives the discomfort. No bloody show or anything, just lots of, umm, extra lube.

Maybe I should have sex? Did that work for anyone?

Quoting ErikaRobin:

CafeMom Tickers
LvnDeadGrl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM

If it is erratic, you aren't in active labor. You could be in the beginning stages of labor though. I know when I went into labor with my daughter (the only one I went into labor with natually), I started having exactly what you described on a Thursday night. It lasted most of the day Friday and only got worse throughout the night. Saturday morning, I got up to use the bathroom and as I sat on the toilet, my water broke. It never was bad pain, but it was enough to make me very comfortable.

If they seem to come more frequently, time them the best you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)