Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDIt:Thanks.. Mamma'sTook my 5 yr old to counsleing today ( her first visit)... I am so disappointed

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM
  • 59 Replies

Here is the reason

Background.. she has been having tantrums at school ... she is afraid of me leaving her.. she does not hurt anyone... she does her work.. but sometimes has not participated in activities...

Any way we went to see a licensed counselor today... my daughter went in and was very sociable w/ the counselor... the office had alot of nick knacks and a big fluffy couch... so my DD wanted to look at all the goodies the counselor had in the office... and then sat on the couch and bounced up & down... and asked the counselor alot of questions about her nick knacks... she did interrupt the counselor  several times... she drew her a pic. counted for her..... The counselor asked me questions...about DD:

Does she interupt... yes sometimes

Do you have to ask her several times to pick up her toys.... yes sometimes

Do she get frustrated easily at time... yes sometimes

Does she talk back... yes sometimes

Does she call people names... yes sometimes.. mainly her brother & sister

Well after about 20 mins into this session the counsoler looked at me and said .. I feel your dd has adhd.. and needs meds asap.... I did not expect this ... I thought there was more to diagnosing adhd than this... she preformed no testing...

I am so confused and not sure this is right......

simple frown

EDIT:

Thanks all of you.... ya'll have given me alot of information to use and look at .. diet etc.. I am definitely going to try these things.. before I even consider meds... I just wanted to cry after this visit.... i have never dealt w/ these issues w/ my kids so it was a very gray area for me... and I felt my dd got short changed from this counselor.... Thanks again.. I will keep ya'll updated on our progress... And will probably be p.m. some of ya'll for questions.. THanks again all

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UncondtnlLove
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I don't buy that. I'd most definitely get a second opinion if I were you. 

gypsymama532
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM

get a second opinion, there's supposed to be a team that diagnoses, it shouldn't be one person who does it

ERNAProud
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I wouldn't take that as an answer. I would get a second opinion. People are too ready to diagnose with ADHD instead of checking any checking any deeper. There are too many things that are misdiagnosed as ADHD and the real problems are never found and children end up suffering long term side effects because of it. 

Heather0816
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I would get a second opinion. The things she is doing seems to be the behavior of a normal child.

Follow me to,  Army Wives Do It With Pride

Crystallynn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM

There are some tests that they can do, and there are papers/questionaires that the teachers should fill out as well.  A lot of Dr.s "label" everything ADHD and if you do not want to accept that diagnosis, take her somewhere else.  Have you tried behavior therapy?  We did that with my son before we tried meds.  Good Luck momma

olivejuicebby
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Quoting UncondtnlLove:

I don't buy that. I'd most definitely get a second opinion if I were you. 

this. for sure ^

Photobucket

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Trust your gut!  My dd is 5 & I can answer yes to those questions too, but I would never in a million years think that she has adhd.  But she is doing well in school, no tantrums or not participating.  I would trust your gut on this & maybe get a second opinion

rubixcube.gif rubix cube picture by walshfamilyalbum

KT9105
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM

um i could have answered those questions yes for me and any child i've ever known that age.  i'd get a 2nd opinion, i know adhd is real but seriously, not every kid has it.

MommynMonster
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Get a second opinion and try alternative, more natural ways to treat add/adhd

NessaLovesEmma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM

She sounds like a normal 5 year old to me. Get a second opinion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)