Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

German Shepards

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

just wondering if anyone had one? My hubby and I want to get a dog, and ive ALWAYS wanted a german shepard... im just wondering if they are good family dogs? I have an almost 3 y/o and a 2 month old.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MixedCooke
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 3:44 AM

They are great family dogs, very loyal and very protective.  They can handle kids pulling their tails and ears with no problems.  They are very loving as well!  They should definitely have some basic training though because they can get big and you want to be able to control it.  hand signals are good to use along with voice commands.

mitch576
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:58 AM

ooooooooooooohhh!!!

if you live anywhere around new england my local dog pound has a white pure bred german shepard!!!! she is stunning and reportedly an awesome dog. i wanted her but my dog only likes cats {yes i know how incredibly screwy that is}

so.. we couldn't take her. but.. for about 120 bucks, you can and she's already fixed, has her shots and is micro chipped!

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM

We've always had them and we have a 2 1/2 year old now.  They are ALOT of work and require strict training.  They nip, snap, chew, pee when excited or scared, molt twice a year making your house a hairy mess, they are a huge commitment as they tend to become like another child.  So there is a lot to consider when getting one.  If possible meet the mother and father of the puppy, they are almost always a good indicator of the temperament of the puppies.  You are better off getting an off market dog than a puppy mill or bulk breeder dog because they are more likely to be family friendly.  They are obviously great watch dogs and will die for their family.  We always get females they are easier to train and are smarter.  Good luck with your decision.  If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

BakedBean999
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Shepards are good family dogs

gulfcoastmom4
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I have one, shes not a pure bred but about 90-10 mixed with Chow.

Heres a pic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)