Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best small dog breed for apartment living that is good with small children??

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

We live in an apartment.  My son is 4 and my daughter is 16 months.  My mom has a yorkie that she got last year and it has grown up with my kids being around (we go up there at least once a week sometimes more).  They LOVE her!  My daughter just squeals and claps and my son loves her to death too.  We have dog sat for my mom several times and had her dog here and it has been fine. 

The reason I don't want a Yorkie is b/c we had one before we had kids.  I was thinking she was going to be like my mom's (she had another Yorkie before this one) and be like 4-6 pounds and this dog was 20 pounds.  My mom's dog was a lap dog and very quiet and good, this dog was insane and dumb as a box of rocks.  I am pretty sure she was inbred, I can't prove it though of course.  I loved her and worked very hard with her.  When we had DS in 05 she started acting out for attention.  She was HORRIBLE!  She would get in the trash, pee or poop on everything.  She even tried to pee on the clothes in the clothes basket.  I still kept on with her and continued to try to make her behave.  The last straw was when she snapped at my baby.  We found her a good home where she could be outside in a yard and with older children.  She is doing great now.

So anyway, I know I am crazy, but I want another dog.  I feel like if the dog grows up with the kids and knows what it can and can't do it will be better.  My mom's dog is great.  I know all yorkies aren't alike, but I seriously don't want to go down that road again.  I cried and cried for weeks!  If we get a dog I want to keep it!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
junebug624
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Stay away from pet shops for the most part... look in the paper or online for private breeders... visit the facilities where the dog is born and raised.  We had 2 miniature pinschers (1 was put down 2 wks ago for an engorged liver).  The girl that got put down loved my 16 month old.  God, he'd torture her (pull on her fur) and Id freak but she'd sit there and be content... she never had her puppies so I think she may have "adopted" my son as hers.  Our little boy dog is also very protective of him, and an excellent watch dog. 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I think you might be talking about Toy Breeds, really tiny dogs.  If not, I recommend a Bichon Frise.

sent4u5041
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM

We have a pug and we used to live in an apartment. Him and my dd get along great. She even kisses him each night before bed. He is very gentle has never snipped or growled. Now if he'd stop digging my yard id love him more (sorry thats another post)! 

ryleesmommy2009
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Boston Terrier they Love kids and are very good dogs and low maintenace (grooming and such)

LollipopDream
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Quoting junebug624:

Stay away from pet shops for the most part... look in the paper or online for private breeders... visit the facilities where the dog is born and raised.  We had 2 miniature pinschers (1 was put down 2 wks ago for an engorged liver).  The girl that got put down loved my 16 month old.  God, he'd torture her (pull on her fur) and Id freak but she'd sit there and be content... she never had her puppies so I think she may have "adopted" my son as hers.  Our little boy dog is also very protective of him, and an excellent watch dog. 

This really is the best way. I wanted a small dog so bad and I looked in our local buy and sell guide. I ended up finding a great little guy and we only paid $65 for him. He is a Chug chihuahua/pug. When we went to go meet him we all feel in love. Now he doesn't leave my side.

MommytoNandA
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Thanks!  Wherever we get it from it owuld have to be local.  None of the pet stores around here carry dogs at all.  The yorkie we drove 6 hours and she met us at the Walmart, which I thought was a little shady, but I loved the puppy so I didn't really think to much on it at the time.  I have been keeping my eye on the ads for the SPCA too, so hopefully I can find someone local.  I know there is a woman who has boston terriers but I don't know anything about her.  

FL2AK
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

Boston Terrier they Love kids and are very good dogs and low maintenace (grooming and such)

We have a male and a female Boston Terrier.  They are the most loyal and loving dogs I have ever owned.  Our male is very protective which I love.  We have friends visting us right how who have a 12 week old baby.  Trucker our male thinks that he is the babysitter and comes running to see what is the matter when the baby cries.  They are also very smart and very easy to train. 

blindfoldedlady
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Go to your local humane shelter! Sorry, I just can't stress this enough. Do you have to have a purebred? The local shelter usually has lots of dogs up for adoption. Plus they'll be spayed or neutered, and have all their shots, and the adoption fee (around here) is like $60-80, which is good. Our local shelter makes you bring in kids and other pets to do like a 'meet and greet' before you are even allowed to adopt a dog. I highly suggest it. There are small dogs there too, and in my experience, (only mine, I don't know about others!) mutts have been the best dogs I've owned. At least check it out! It doesn't have to be a specific breed. All breeds will have the 'norm', but not all dogs follow that.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Christian-Mom79
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM

aren't they hyper? my parents have one that would be too hyper for an apartment! LOL

Quoting ryleesmommy2009:

FL2AK
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Quoting blindfoldedlady:

Go to your local humane shelter! Sorry, I just can't stress this enough. Do you have to have a purebred? The local shelter usually has lots of dogs up for adoption. Plus they'll be spayed or neutered, and have all their shots, and the adoption fee (around here) is like $60-80, which is good. Our local shelter makes you bring in kids and other pets to do like a 'meet and greet' before you are even allowed to adopt a dog. I highly suggest it. There are small dogs there too, and in my experience, (only mine, I don't know about others!) mutts have been the best dogs I've owned. At least check it out! It doesn't have to be a specific breed. All breeds will have the 'norm', but not all dogs follow that.

I do agree with this!  We adopted our two Boston Terriers for free because our male was thought to have health problems (he doesnt)  and our female was already 7 years old and the owners could no longer keep her.  Petfinder.com is a great place to try to find the right pet.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)