Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Gray Poop... Should I Be Worried?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

I know baby poop can be an entire rainbow of colors, but lately, DD's poop has been slate gray. Up until now it's been yellow to dark green. She is 6 months old and has been exclusively BFed until about a month ago. Now we supplement 2 feedings a day with formula when I'm away. She is not on solids yet. She has had digestive problems since birth and we have no diagnosis, except relux and colic. I've looked online and can't find anything about gray poop. Should I be concerned that this may be another symptom of whatever has been bothering her? Or is this just one of the myraids of colors that poop comes in? (or out, should I say)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MalibuMommy
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I have no idea.. Here is a bump..

ASHLEYLoving fiance to Glenn Mommy to Alixzandreah Elizabeth [11.13.2007] and Luke Ryden [06.07.2009] 

kyle84niki
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM

as long as it isnt white poop it is ok.

pm me if i can help you with anything

I provide childcare for parents in and around Tulsa,Ok.

gabe11-14
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I would recomend taking her to the doctor, grey stool can indicate decreased bile output and can be very serious.

Gabriel is going to be 1 on November 14th!!!

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Gray poop is a symptom of something.  I am trying to think.  I am thinking cystic fibrosis...but maybe that was clay colored poop.  I would definitely see the doctor about it just to make sure.

djemMama0725
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Gray stools, pale stools, putty or clay colored stools may be seen in hepatitis, gallbladder disorders, or malabsorption conditions. Bile salts in the stool excreted by the liver give it a normal brown color. Obstruction to bile flow out of the liver (you may see the word "cholestasis"), or liver infections like viral hepatitis (A, B, C, etc.), may produce clay colored stools. Possible causes for clay colored stool result from problems in the biliary system (the drainage system of the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas): Malabsorption problems can cause undigested fat in the stool (steatorrhea) which is characterized by foul smelling, light yellow to gray, greasy or frothy stools. This may also be caused by low bile output

found this at this website..... http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm

" There will be an answer, let it be......" --Paul McCartney

kyle84niki
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM

my son has gray poop and the only thing wrong is he drinks to much milk and his nerves do not work right

if the stool is white is when you worry

I provide childcare for parents in and around Tulsa,Ok.

fenders35
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

agreed

Quoting gabe11-14:

I would recomend taking her to the doctor, grey stool can indicate decreased bile output and can be very serious.

LavenderMom23
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I would just call and ask your pedi or the nurse on staff. Mine always said, expect everything except Red for blood in the stool. But if you are concerned and there are several consistent diapers all gray...then just put in a call.

cornucopia  1360 The Eucharist is a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the Father, a blessing by which the Church expresses her gratitude to God for all his benefits, for all that he has accomplished through creation, redemption, and sanctification. Eucharist means first of all "thanksgiving." - CCC, SE, pg. 343

apar4152
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My son drinks juice and formula but his poop recently has been a pale gray color, what's my best option in helping him?

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Take a sample to pedi. All kids are different thats the only reliable way to find out...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN