Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why I celebrate Christmas when I'm not Christian.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM
  • 48 Replies

It's a simple reason really, because IT'S FUN!

It's FUN to put up a tree, and decorate, bake cookies, shop for and wrap presents. It's FUN to read Christmas stories to my children, watch cheesy movies and eat candy canes and sing "Jingle Bells" .  It's FUN to spend time with family and to stuff myself with fantastic food until my jeans don't fit and to take my children to see Santa Claus.

I enjoy my overindulgent, overly commercialized holiday, as do many other non-believing Americans.  God is never present in my house the other 363 days of the year, those two are no exception.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:11 AM

That's why we celebrate it too.  It's fun.  Same with Halloween.

southernjess3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

same here:)

CafeMom Tickers

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

We celebrate the birth of santa here.

Hey why shouldnt we all get in on it??

soakley
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I think thats really ccool of you to do. Its good your kids dont miss out on all that fun because you dont believe in God, yes Christmas celebrates Jesus's birth, but kids dont always understand that, but they do understand all their friends having all the fun and them not. I know a family that doesnt let their kids celebrate because of their believes and it makes me sad... so good for you!

UxorQuodMatris
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Birth of Santa, lol that's cute.

Quoting imthatgirl728:

We celebrate the birth of santa here.

Hey why shouldnt we all get in on it??

UxorQuodMatris
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM

My kids are 2 and 3, they definitely only understand the tree, presents and cookies part. lol.

Quoting soakley:

I think thats really ccool of you to do. Its good your kids dont miss out on all that fun because you dont believe in God, yes Christmas celebrates Jesus's birth, but kids dont always understand that, but they do understand all their friends having all the fun and them not. I know a family that doesnt let their kids celebrate because of their believes and it makes me sad... so good for you!

LavenderMom23
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Why you celebrate "Christ-Mass" the original meaning of the word Christmas and you leave out Christ?! I have news for you...what you are celebrating is NOT CHRIST and therefore NOT Christmas. What you celebrate is gluttony...and woe to you.

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM

She celebrates fun and family.  Gluttony is excessive eating and drinking.  Do you ever eat too much?

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Why you celebrate "Christ-Mass" the original meaning of the word Christmas and you leave out Christ?! I have news for you...what you are celebrating is NOT CHRIST and therefore NOT Christmas. What you celebrate is gluttony...and woe to you.

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hey don't talk about my santa that way....I don;t talk about your jesus that way.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

UxorQuodMatris
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM

No, what I celebrate is a Hallmark Christmas. Keep your woe, I'll hang on to the gluttony :)

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)