Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hookah vs. cigarettes?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM
  • 24 Replies

Does anyone know if smoking tobacco out of a hookah is safer than a cigarette?
I got DH a hookah last night when we went to the Middle Eastern part of Patterson NJ.
I quit smoking cigarettes 3 years ago and I sat outside with DH last night and smoked the hookah with him.
It didn't make me cough like the first time I smoked. And I have been craving cigarettes of and on since I quit, so if I smoke hookah every once in a while is it safer than if I smoked a cigarette?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.miss.mom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

In my opinion hookahs and pipes are safer than cigs because more artificial things are put inside of cigarettes. Please take this with a grain of salt as I am no professional. Never used a hookah but have enjoyed the occasional pipe with flavored tobacco and it does not make your chest feel heavy like cigs do.

ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I'm thinking not.  It's still tobacco, right?  Maybe without the additives and tar and crap, but I think it's still harmful to you. 

Infrequency is probably the key.   

rayzensun
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM

it depends on what you're smoking, some of the flavored tobacco can have more carcinogens than regular tobacco and you take much bigger hits with a hookah but if you buy the good kinds of hookah tobbacco it can be better-

(but you don't smake a hookah as often as you would smoke a ciggarette either)

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
McKs0820
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM

its the same thing. its just flavored tobacco...pointless and waste of money

mommyto2girls00
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Well a cigarette is filtered... I honestly have no idea though.

wickedfiress
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

My husband brough one home from Iraq.... with strawberry flavored tabacco... it was good... but the smoke is "heavy" like that from cigars or a pipe... so I'd think it was just as bad.

Just a question.. does yours have that little coal block that sits across the bowl portion? How the hell do you keep that f-er lit?

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

curveymama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM

i didnt know people actually smoked tabacco out of a hookah! lol! i thought that was basically for smoking pot.....but either way i would say they are both equally as bad for you....

kk_bella
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

My husband brough one home from Iraq.... with strawberry flavored tabacco... it was good... but the smoke is "heavy" like that from cigars or a pipe... so I'd think it was just as bad.

Just a question.. does yours have that little coal block that sits across the bowl portion? How the hell do you keep that f-er lit?

It's supposed to keep itself lit. Usually, people break up the block of coal so it's more like charcoal and yuo can 'build' a fire with it.

I'm going to go with it's just as bad.

Paesana82
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I honestly don't know for sure. BUT I do THINK they have similar effects.

Like, people always say that smoking weed is ok because it's natural....but it still has carcinogens in it and still increases the risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and lungs, similar to cigarettes(and I got that info from one of my nursing texts)

From what I've learned in school, it doesn't matter if something is natural, but when something is burned it makes carcinogens....it doesn't matter if it's a piece of chicken or a veggie or whatever is in cigarettes or anything that you smoke, the fact that it's burning makes it cacinogenic.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

isra1986
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I bought tropical fruit flavor! The smoke isn't really that heavy to me, lol.
Do you have water in the bottom part?
Do you have a screen or put foil with holes in it over the bowl with tabacco?
You have to make sure the coal really lit! It should stay lit. There is a kind I got called "Holland " quick lighting charcoal.
That's the kind I got, just lights and stays lit with a lighter!

Quoting wickedfiress:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)