Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My landlord wont fix problems in my house so I'm going to force him to do it!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

So yeah..we have lived here since April.  I HATE this house!  But its cheap so we continue living here until we can afford to rent something better and nicer.  BEFORE we moved in we told the landlords the only way we would move in is if a few things were done.  A couple things were done but 2 things havent.  In our den the celiing is seperated into sections by beams.  Well 2 sections are falling through.  Another section is now falling through and obviously water damaged because of a new recent leak that they still havent repaired.  The other thing was before we moved in there was a kitchen fire...so there is soot on the celings in the livingroom, dining room, kitchen and den..they were suppose to paint it.  It hasnt been done either.  The carpet is REALLY old and NASTY!  They told us when we moved in that they were not going to replace the carpet.  So we have dealt with it.  BUT the seams are starting to seperate in 3 different places throughout the house.  My vacuum cleaner snags it all the time and makes it worse.  Myself and my children have repeatedly tripped over these places.  There is a leak under our master bathroom bathtub.  They still havent fixed the leak and our water bill has gone up  $10.00.  There are also several spots where the floor boards are creaking really loudly and caving in some and one spot where u can feel it trying to fall through... I'm sick of this!  Im sending a certified letter to them regarding EVERYTHING on wedensday and demanding it ALL be fixed.  I tried contacting the county building inspectors office but the lady said they only do new buildings...that I would have to hire a housing inspector.  Isnt there something else I could do to help me with this??  The health dept or soemthing??

OH YEAH..I mentioned this stuff to the landlord when we payed rent this month and her response was they would get to what they could right now because right now they had to pay insurance and house payment on all their rental properties.  They own 8 house on my street alone.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
alwaysyoung
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM

bump

caiti
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Ugh, that's why I'm so glad we own our house. If something happens, we get it fixed. And it raises the value of our house. So...good luck with all of that. What kind of lease did you sign, I would be moving ASAP. That does not sound like a safe environment for ANYONE, even less children.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Boy Stole my Heart

katiebug840204
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Its not really a lease.  We signed a paper saying we lived at this address for legal reasons only.  There are no dates as to for how long, or prices or anything.  I wish we could buy a house but financially we can not do that right now. 

Quoting caiti:

Ugh, that's why I'm so glad we own our house. If something happens, we get it fixed. And it raises the value of our house. So...good luck with all of that. What kind of lease did you sign, I would be moving ASAP. That does not sound like a safe environment for ANYONE, even less children.

trobnolte
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM

You can put the money in escrow(i believe this is what it is called). I think you have to fill out some paperwork of some kind and tell your landlord that he/she is not getting rent until all problems are fixed. When they do fix it, you just take all the rent out of escrow and pay them. If you do this, maybe they will think twice not to fix things again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)