Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby proofing

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

my DD is starting to creep around, and she's fast! we have a computer set up in our living room on a table and the cords drape down the back and connect to a power supply on the floor. how did you baby proof all of your cords/outlets? i have outlet plugs but this power supply needs to be hidden somewhere? and all these cords i just don't really know what to do with them, and she already goes after them so i don't have much time before she can actually get into trouble. any suggestions? pics showing what you did? anything? thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amayabrianna
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM

No personal advice here since my DD was always able to undo any store bought "baby proofing" but have you tried getting zip ties for the cords? Tie them all together and then maybe get some fabric to go around them, my guess would be that if it looks like she is allowed to touch it she probably won't. My DDs only ever touch(ed) things they aren't suppose to. HTH some!!

My family supports them ALL does yours???

alishabear0808
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM

what i recommend looks kinda tacky but it works IMO... i duct tapes the cords to the wall and covered the open outlets on the power strip with duct tape and duct taped the power strip to the floor

I also did this with all the surround sound cords and all the electonics in my living room....

Ixchel183
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Quoting amayabrianna:

No personal advice here since my DD was always able to undo any store bought "baby proofing" but have you tried getting zip ties for the cords? Tie them all together and then maybe get some fabric to go around them, my guess would be that if it looks like she is allowed to touch it she probably won't. My DDs only ever touch(ed) things they aren't suppose to. HTH some!!

i think zip ties are a good idea but the fabric would make me nervous, wouldn't that be a fire hazard or something?

Ixchel183
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Quoting alishabear0808:

what i recommend looks kinda tacky but it works IMO... i duct tapes the cords to the wall and covered the open outlets on the power strip with duct tape and duct taped the power strip to the floor

I also did this with all the surround sound cords and all the electonics in my living room....

have you pulled the duct tape off yet? did it rip off the paint? i'm renting and don't want to wreck our walls, we aren't allowed to paint even if we screw it up we have to let our landlady fix it so i want to avoid that. maybe i could use the tape they use to paint...masking tape is that it?

mom2four1978
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM

You can just wrap this kinda gate around the computer area. Maybe you can afix it to the desk or wall in some way.

Superyard XT - North States Industries  - Babies"R"Ushttp://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266978&fromWidget=TRU%3ACategory%3ATop+Sellers

Or you can go to the hardware store and get PVC pipe to go around the cords.

jackjack2.png picture by devilsadvocate1488

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)