Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who leave the TV on all day as background noise....

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM
  • 63 Replies

I used to do the same thing.  Our tv broke about two months ago, and it took about a month to get it repaired - so it has been working again for about a month but the kids have no clue!!! LOL   I just wanted to share my experience.

I would leave the tv on all day, but they played blocks, trains, cars,  etc etc, just with the tv on as well.   

That tv breaking was a blessing in disguise.  My kids have blossomed beyond belief!  They play with all their toys now, they get a long great with each other.. their already big vocabulary expanded so much in only two months!!!!!!    IT really is amazing the difference I have seen in my kids by not having that damn tv on all day!!  

Our quality of life was already good, but WOW, it has gotten even better all around since the tv died.  My hubs and I have a tv in our room still and will sometimes still watch late at night.  But very rarely.    The family unit does a lot more together.. cleaning, cooking, playing, etc. 

I am still in shock about how great it has been.. this probably sounds really weird - but I just wanted to share my experience and maybe someone else will feel compelled to give it a try with out any tv!!!!!!!!!!  

I am now anti tv for kids!!!! LOL

Justine butterfly on head  

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rayzensun
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM

and they think it might cause ADHD in children...

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
tha-hawt-mommie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM

i like having the tv on for noise ... we listen to music alot ... we dont have a stereo anymore , and the small stereo is in my bedroom ... but harmoni loves music ... during story time its off ... during our play time its turned down or off. 

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

AngelicaRenee
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I try to leave the tv off but my son goes over and turns it back on. Maybe next time he's in his room playing I'll turn it off, maybe he won't notice then! haha

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Although I don't typically leave my tv on as background noise,my dd would beg to watch tv as soon as she got home from school.So I gave in,'only for and hour' I'd say,then I'd get wrapped up in some project or housework and the tv would just stay on.Then a couple of weeks ago,dd started to come home from school and not ask for the tv on.She is learning how to read and is more focused on books,writing,doing puzzles,or playing dress up.And I can see a difference in her attitude,its actually improved alot. 

Lilypie
mommyto3girlies
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Funny my sister was in from out of town of tuesday and she told me I NEVER have my tv on. She says what is the point of having a nice new tv if i leave it off all day lol. I just dont like watching tv the same thing is always on. I rather have the house nice and quiet than hear the tv, the kids, and the baby cry.

Photobucket

EsmeVincent

well honestly when the tv is on its mainly for me, I can't STAND to have just quiet...it makes me nervous...SO even tho ds really could careless about the tv I have it on for me...the only show he really watches is Pooh or Super Why

I know ALL moms think their children are perfect and some may say mine is abnormal but I would rather my child be abnormal if YOU are what you call NORMAL

KyleeTrogolo

clapping

go you! i love that! our tv is pretty much just for my husband's damn video games. sometimes we watch movies at night but that thing is hardly ever on. there's so much more to do than sit on the couch all day watching cable especially for the kiddos!

baby

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I saw the same thing!  My oldest is 8, and her sister is 7.  But, when they were little around 1 1/2 and 2 1/2, we did the same thing.  Turned off the tv, and left it off. 
It has never ever gone back on!

I KNOW my kids have much better imaginations than most kids, and they PLAY with their toys, serious playing!  And they just behave better. 
I know this, because I saw it with my own eyes.

If my kids watch one hour of tv a week, thats a lot!

Now, I have had someone sick for the past 3 weeks (two cases of Chicken pox, and a case of flu), and I allow them unlimited tv access, so its been on A LOT!  Can't wait for them to be feeling better so it goes off again!

mirandas_mom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

My TV stays off all day too, until DH gets home and watches news, then he and DD watch history channel, or animal planet or discovery. 

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

same here ... if i sleep in the living room i have to have it on too. or a stereo

Quoting EsmeVincent:

well honestly when the tv is on its mainly for me, I can't STAND to have just quiet...it makes me nervous...SO even tho ds really could careless about the tv I have it on for me...the only show he really watches is Pooh or Super Why

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)