Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

boston terriers

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Anyone own one??? How good are they with small children and apartment lifestyles???

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Check out this website and it will tell you how those kind of dogs are.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dogs/dogs-good-with-kids.aspx

lovinmykiddo07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Ahhhh! I love Bostons! But they have THE worst gas! My friend had one, who mated with her chihuahua and I got one of the pups. Probably one of my most favorite dogs. They are very energetic. The dog that my friend had was pretty good with kids. Bostons do have some health issues tho.. here is a link to it.

http://www.bostonterrierhub.com/boston_terrier_health_problems.html

& some more info on the breed:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bostonterrier.htm

QueenBee2Miles
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Any other personal experience with these dogs??

cmhart
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM

my grandma has 2 and they are great.  she's always owned at least one at a time my whole life.  they are great with both. sweet and fun and a little crazy but that's all puppies.  they don't need too much exercise so they are great apartment dogs.  good luck with your future pups.

Happily in love with Tyler, my wonderful Navy husband and mommy to Leighton, my beautiful baby boy.

happynavytoddler boy

ycatstouch
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM

My parents own one, Colonel. He is a 5 year old male. I ABSOLUTELY adore this dog. He loves my DD to peices, too. He was around her when she was only 3 weeks old and there was no issues with him/her, other than him licking her to death! LOL

As for apartment life, I think he/she would be fine if you took them for a walk everyday. Colonel is in a small house, but has a small yard to run(though he does not really run much-think 40 pound tubby! LOL)

They really are a great breed. The only problem that I know about them is their breathing problems and butt problems. Colonel has had sugery on his anal glands because they were inflamed and posed a risk of bursting. You have to have their anal glands "relieved" every now and again(either a groomer or vet can do this). Also, they tend to have breathing problems. He also had to have surgery to open up his nasal passages a bit more...Both the anal gland and nasal issues are pretty common in this breed, but I would not let it deter from them. They are truly great, family loving dogs.

Jadegirl1819
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM

check out dogbreedinfo.com Their description of the breed is right on.

I have two bostons that I rescued from the shelter.  I thought about going through a breeder but felt guilty with so many homeless dogs.  We were lucky when these popped up in the shelter.  I also was afraid to get a small puppy because my youngest was 2 and pretty rough.  I didn't want it to get hurt.

They are VERY active dogs.  They can handle apartment life but you will need to walk them once or twice a day.  They do have gas if they aren't on a good dog food.  Mine get pretty bad when they get extra treats.  Gag!

If you buy a puppy you need to find a good breeder.  Stay away from pet stores.  Juvenile cataracts, food allergies, expensive knee problems, deafness are some of the things that are common in the breed.  A good breeder has the parents certified as clear of the problems and has the puppy checked out also.  

gkm15099
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I just put my Boston to sleep after 13 years of delight!  Bostons are amazing dogs. JD was 11 when my triplets were born and he adjusted to them without an issue.  He was so great and loved on them.  He loved them and we love him and miss him daily.  Most do really well in apartments and the ones I've been around do great with kids.

Here's my little man!  James Dean!

LCWAmommy
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I have one he is great he loves to run around when he's out side but when he's in the house he just lays around and likes to cuddle. My kids are rough with him they lay on him and pull on him and he just lays there he has never once tried to snap at the kids or even growled. the do chew and need to be walked or let to run around but just taking them to the park and letting them run is fine. they take alot of patiance for training though because they are very smart but also very stubborn. Here's a pic of my boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)