Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tutu help!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

i am making tutus for my neices for christmas this year and needed to know how big to make them. i know how to do the tutus but what size do i cut the elastic? here are their sizes

Kaci- size 8 pants
Alanna- size6x pants
Nalani- size 2t-3t pants
Oaklie- size 12-18mo pants.

also how much tulle do i buy for these sizes?

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM

i like this one best ( i make tutus too lmao) but i love this bc if NEED BE you can fix it really easy!!!!!!!!!! and well its cute with the bow!!! :D

also i would get 11 yards of tulle total

abbymomof1
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM

11yrds for all 4 of the tutus? if so this will be cheap to do. tulle is on sale at joanns for 50% off.

Quoting ARMYWIFEHILL:

i like this one best ( i make tutus too lmao) but i love this bc if NEED BE you can fix it really easy!!!!!!!!!! and well its cute with the bow!!! :D

also i would get 11 yards of tulle total

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    

ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM

oops my bad hunny i missed the top one i would get 15 yards of tulle! and do brite colors mixed with white like do 4 strips of color then two of white and 4 then 2 then 4 then 2!!  you get my drift lol!!! also buy little plastic flowers to hot glue on (of you have a glue gun!) makes it a little more girly!

above is my first tutu someone edited it for me lol but you get the drift!

abbymomof1
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM

thanks! now do you do the ribbon or elastic? my neices live 4hrs away so i can not measure them to do the ribbon and my sis has no clue how to do anything that deals with sewing. i was maybe thinking of going to the store and measuring pants in their sizes so i could do the ribbon.

Quoting ARMYWIFEHILL:

oops my bad hunny i missed the top one i would get 15 yards of tulle! and do brite colors mixed with white like do 4 strips of color then two of white and 4 then 2 then 4 then 2!!  you get my drift lol!!! also buy little plastic flowers to hot glue on (of you have a glue gun!) makes it a little more girly!

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I make mine about 25yds each for the most part and honestly you should have their mom measure their waist and go for measurements there. and Ribbonretreat.com has tulle its 25yds for $3

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM

i do the ribbon bc it can be fixed and messe with more!! where as the elastic is harder bc it streches so you never know if you need more tulle!  but i just go by pant size too so go measure there oant sizes at the store (wonderful idea lol) and go from there! also i mad 3 tutues for triplets using this video (sizes 3/4) and i only used 8 yards of tulle and i bought 12 always buy more then you think you nee bc you can always make another tutu for a friend or family members daughter save your self the money in gas lol!!!

Quoting abbymomof1:

thanks! now do you do the ribbon or elastic? my neices live 4hrs away so i can not measure them to do the ribbon and my sis has no clue how to do anything that deals with sewing. i was maybe thinking of going to the store and measuring pants in their sizes so i could do the ribbon.

Quoting ARMYWIFEHILL:

abbymomof1
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM

thanks i am off to go buy the stuff now and will update with pics when i get them done. i am so excited i have 2 boys and never get to make the fun girly things so this is going to be fun!

Quoting ARMYWIFEHILL:

i do the ribbon bc it can be fixed and messe with more!! where as the elastic is harder bc it streches so you never know if you need more tulle!  but i just go by pant size too so go measure there oant sizes at the store (wonderful idea lol) and go from there! also i mad 3 tutues for triplets using this video (sizes 3/4) and i only used 8 yards of tulle and i bought 12 always buy more then you think you nee bc you can always make another tutu for a friend or family members daughter save your self the money in gas lol!!!

Quoting abbymomof1:

Quoting ARMYWIFEHILL:

i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I think I'm too late... but I just saw this post. :)

I prefer ribbon waistbands. I hate hate hate elastic, though that is what I sell on my website because that is what most moms prefer at first - until they realize that elastic stretches and no matter how much tulle you put on the tutu (I use at least 40 yards for each), you will eventually be able to see the waistband. PLUS, they are SO hard to step in and out of without getting the tulle all on the wrong side.. they're just a pain lol.

If you use ribbon, use 1inch thick satin ribbon. Measure the waist (you can measure around a pair of pants their size if you don't have them there with you) and then add enough to tie a bow at the end. I think it's like 22 inches? I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply if you have any other questions I hope I can help. I make/sell tutus on www.nelliebugs.com so you can see more pics there if you'd like ideas.

You want to squeeze the tulle ties together as much as possible so the tutu is VERY full. Nobody likes a limp tutu. ;)

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, tutu making WAH momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

amb_josh
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM

oH i cant wait to see yours!!!

amb_josh
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:16 AM

did you finish them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)