Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving Dinner: What are you cooking? *Edit*

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM
  • 36 Replies

So besides the traditional turkey, what else are you making?

Do you have anything "special" that you do/add to your recipes for your mashed potatoes or stuffing, green bean casserole etc? Anything at all that adds more flavor or makes your recipes extra YUMMY?!

Share them here! I know I'd like some new ideas!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pmarin
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM

So, two things I do with my mashed potatoes is:

Add cream cheese to them. It makes for a "vevelty texture" and great taste! One of my friends gave me that idea.

Or, I take dried bread cubes (like the ones you use for your stuffing), crumble them up and brown them with butter and garlic. Once they're done, I mix them in the potatoes. It makes them really tasty!

USMCBride08
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM

NO turkey here =] not fond of it

but we're havig ham, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, watergate salad, stuffing, rolls, pumpkin pie, and whatever else dh wants

the funniest thing is, the ONLY people we're feeding are us 3 lol me, dh and our 10 month old 

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

Saloria
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I make a traditional turkey with sausage and turkey stuffing, whipped sweet potato bake (household favorite), but what everyone eats alot are my four cheese potatoes. This I whip up fast cause there is so much cooking. I use Betty Crocker Four Cheese Instant Potatoes ... cook them as directed then add sour cream, chives (chopped green onion), and bacon bits (I cook the bacon and crumble it in). Then I add some shredded cheese on top. I usually have to make a lot or else when my parents come for dinner no one else gets any lol. Sometimes I will make appetizers like deviled eggs and such. We always have pumpkin pie and this year we might add in pumpkin cheesecake. I have family coming to dinner so I gotta make a lot lol. I am also going to try my hand at some new recipes this year so I may keep tabs on this thread to see other peoples recipes.

Saloria
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Oh yes I add the cream cheese to my garlic & cheese potatoes (I usually put that on top of my shepards pie). Potatoes are great with cream cheese. Also if you mix in sour cream instead of just putting a spoonful ontop it is really good

Quoting pmarin:

So, two things I do with my mashed potatoes is:

Add cream cheese to them. It makes for a "vevelty texture" and great taste! One of my friends gave me that idea.

Or, I take dried bread cubes (like the ones you use for your stuffing), crumble them up and brown them with butter and garlic. Once they're done, I mix them in the potatoes. It makes them really tasty!

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I think we are going to have pizza.

pmarin
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM

So, uh.. Room for one more?! Sounds yummy! I like the four cheese potatoes! Sounds quick simple and yummy:)

Quoting Saloria:

I make a traditional turkey with sausage and turkey stuffing, whipped sweet potato bake (household favorite), but what everyone eats alot are my four cheese potatoes. This I whip up fast cause there is so much cooking. I use Betty Crocker Four Cheese Instant Potatoes ... cook them as directed then add sour cream, chives (chopped green onion), and bacon bits (I cook the bacon and crumble it in). Then I add some shredded cheese on top. I usually have to make a lot or else when my parents come for dinner no one else gets any lol. Sometimes I will make appetizers like deviled eggs and such. We always have pumpkin pie and this year we might add in pumpkin cheesecake. I have family coming to dinner so I gotta make a lot lol. I am also going to try my hand at some new recipes this year so I may keep tabs on this thread to see other peoples recipes.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I'm making a roasted chicken for the dogs and the cat.  Other than that, we're still up in the air about Thanksgiving; do we go for a traditional meal at a near-by diner owned by an American* or do we go to an American friend's house and have a vegetarian Thanksgiving meal?  Something tells me that if I go to our friend's house, my pets will have had a better meal. 

*we don't live in the States.

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
pmarin
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM

LOL! This is too cute! I did the same when there were only 3 of us! Now it's 4 so that calls for more food!

Quoting USMCBride08:

but we're havig ham, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, watergate salad, stuffing, rolls, pumpkin pie, and whatever else dh wants

the funniest thing is, the ONLY people we're feeding are us 3 lol me, dh and our 10 month old 

mommy2two26
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM

what i call "real" pumpkin pie...as in i puree the pumpkin and go from there...it is soooooo YUMMY!!!!!!!!way better than canned pumpkin! :)

USMCBride08
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM

LOL i only ever cooked for thanksgiving at home, which included at least 10 people lol so i only know my recipes for BIGGGG crowds lol

the funniest thing is i bought like a 10 lb ham. idk WHAT im gonna do with it afterwards!

Quoting pmarin:

LOL! This is too cute! I did the same when there were only 3 of us! Now it's 4 so that calls for more food!

Quoting USMCBride08:

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)