Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Breastfeeding Resources/Books PLEASE

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm 4 months pregnant with baby #2 and I want to prepare for breastfeeding now so that I'll hopefully be successful this time. I've got flat nipples (tmi I know) and my daughter was tongue tied. I'm hoping that this baby will follow the family trend and not be tongue tied because so far it's only been the oldest child in hubby's family who gets it. But that doesn't change the fact that I've got flat nipples. So I'm looking for books or any other resources that will break down breastfeeding for me and also help me with my nipple problem.  And if we still can't latch on then I plan on pumping so I'll need to learn all about that as well.

So if you had a book or anything else that you learned a lot from about breastfeeding I'd really appreciate if you could share it with me. I want to be as informed and prepared as possible so things will work better. I'm also going to ask our local lactation consultant if there are any breastfeeding classes in the area. She's not the most helpful person...I learned that with my last baby, so I'm looking for people who can help me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM

It's been years since my kids bf, but heres a bump! 

nikkikry
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for the bump!

Quoting DanaG70:

It's been years since my kids bf, but heres a bump! 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

cjsix
by faith on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM

breastfeedingThe Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - by La Leche League is the most well read well know and widely used book on breastfeeding.It's been around for a very long time with appropriate updates as needed and has info on pretty much anything you might have questions about. I've also "heard" there is a La Leche League group on here and they may be able to help you find a group where you live so you can attend meetings and meet other moms who are breastfeeding or pregnant and looking for information so they can nurse when their little ones come.The local meeting are a wonderful way to make friends and gather information and the leaders are available for uestions whenever they come up also. God bless!

Kizbee
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I was a giant bf'ing failure, but while I tried, I found the La Leche League forums hepful.  http://forums.llli.org/index.php

Forget-me-not
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Good for you, I was unsucessfull twice at breastfeeding due to ignorance and lack of support but this time around we have been breastfeeding for 5 months as of yesterday!!!

I would suggest  The complete book of breastfeeding by Marvin S Eiger and Sally Wendkow.

This is a great book as well as the womanly art of breastfeeding both are required reading for me being a student midwife. I would also suggest joining all of the natural pregnancy and birthing groups since your birth can  make breastfeeding more difficult. I would also join all the breastfeeding groups here, support is something that is vital to success. It's is also a huge bonus to post a question and get many answers within minutes from women who odds are know more then your pediatrician. Also the single most important piece of advice that was given to me was not to have ANY bottles or formula in the house. At 3am in those first few weeks it can be way to easy to get your SO to make a bottle so you can catch up on your sleep and that is a dangerous road if you want to be sucessful. Also at 3am it's a lot harder to go and buy formula then it is to walk to the kitchen. I know personally as hard as the first 2 weeks for us were had I had formula in the house I would have caved in and odds my son would not still be EBF and thriving!

Education and support are vital! You are on the right track.

Good for you

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

nikkikry
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I didn't even think about looking for breastfeeding groups on here. That's a great idea.

When my DD was born the lactation consultant told me I had flat nipples. I didn't know that beforehand so I hadn't done any research of what I needed to do differently to make breastfeeding successful. I was so unprepared. And she was no help. She just gave me a nipple shield and left. We tried working with that but because my DD was tongue tied she still wasn't able to latch on. I felt like such a huge failure. I want to have more knowledge going into it this time so our chances are better.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Good for you, I was unsucessfull twice at breastfeeding due to ignorance and lack of support but this time around we have been breastfeeding for 5 months as of yesterday!!!

I would suggest  The complete book of breastfeeding by Marvin S Eiger and Sally Wendkow.

This is a great book as well as the womanly art of breastfeeding both are required reading for me being a student midwife. I would also suggest joining all of the natural pregnancy and birthing groups since your birth can  make breastfeeding more difficult. I would also join all the breastfeeding groups here, support is something that is vital to success. It's is also a huge bonus to post a question and get many answers within minutes from women who odds are know more then your pediatrician. Also the single most important piece of advice that was given to me was not to have ANY bottles or formula in the house. At 3am in those first few weeks it can be way to easy to get your SO to make a bottle so you can catch up on your sleep and that is a dangerous road if you want to be sucessful. Also at 3am it's a lot harder to go and buy formula then it is to walk to the kitchen. I know personally as hard as the first 2 weeks for us were had I had formula in the house I would have caved in and odds my son would not still be EBF and thriving!

Good for you

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Forget-me-not
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Lucky for you pseudo-inverted nipples are so much more common then truly inverted nipples. So it may be that you do not have true inverted nipples.Do your nipples ever protrude or have they ever? If they are true introverted nipples then were you given exercises before?

Quoting nikkikry:

Thanks for the ideas! I didn't even think about looking for breastfeeding groups on here. That's a great idea.

When my DD was born the lactation consultant told me I had flat nipples. I didn't know that beforehand so I hadn't done any research of what I needed to do differently to make breastfeeding successful. I was so unprepared. And she was no help. She just gave me a nipple shield and left. We tried working with that but because my DD was tongue tied she still wasn't able to latch on. I felt like such a huge failure. I want to have more knowledge going into it this time so our chances are better.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Good for you

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

tabi_cat1023
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/ BEST Bfing site ever, made by an IBCLC, has forums too to post questions..use the search bar on the side for specific topics from pumping to weight to supply..its AWESOME

http://www.breastfeeding.com/

Heres the GREAT book to read

http://www.amazon.com/So-Thats-What-Theyre-Breastfeeding/dp/1580620418

IGNORE the what to expect books...awful awful for BFing info.

Join as many of the BFing groups on here as you can..they help ALOT.

I was un successful because of bad info from doctors and unsupportive family with my first 2 kids... I am admin of the group FFing moms that want to BF next time...feel free to join!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/37539

heres info on inverted nipples

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t021800.asp

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/invertednipples.html

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/flat_inverted.shtml

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/110/flat-or-inverted-nipples

Get a nipple shell to wear in your bra the last month of pregnancy, it will help draw the nipple out, also pick up some nipple shields to use when the baby comes IF needed, better to have them onhand just in case, OH and lansinoh brand makes something called a latch assist...look it up its cheap but helps pull out nipples painlessly to nurse.

You CAN do this...set your mind to it, get the info and ASK any questions you have!!  Feel free to message me if you want....

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group on here.  It is super helpful.  My oldest son had the issue of being tongue tied and that completely ruined breastfeeding for me.  It was never caught soon enough which I found rather shocking because you'd think a lactation consultant would know about that.  So I'm like you in that I want to be successful with baby #2 who is due very soon!  I remember a book that was recommended in that group called "So That's What They're There For".  Those ladies really seem to know what they are talking about so check it out!

nikkikry
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM

My nipples are flat....not inverted. They do protrude out normally, it's just that they're about 1/2 the size of a "normal" nipple. So they're there, they just don't stick out as far as they need to for the baby to latch on. I have looked at a few devices that are meant to draw the nipple out further but I don't know which ones work well. And no, the lactation consultant did not give me ANY exercises or any advice on stuff to do to get my nipples to come out. She just handed me a nipple shield and left. And that did not work for us at all.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Lucky for you pseudo-inverted nipples are so much more common then truly inverted nipples. So it may be that you do not have true inverted nipples.Do your nipples ever protrude or have they ever? If they are true introverted nipples then were you given exercises before?

Quoting nikkikry:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Good for you

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)