Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice, will probably get bashed, blah. *Edit*

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Stay in the house your already in

Move and then pay the old landlords later

Stop being a big baby

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

Okay, so we have had some financial troubles this year since my DH was laid off for quite a while. Well now he is back in the oil field but has only been back for a few weeks. Heres our situation. We lost our house due to the lay off, and we started renting this house that were in now. Well, it wasnt what we "wanted" so to speak, its way too small and the rent is too high for what were paying, but it was basically our only option at the time. Now weve been good about paying rent on time, but this last month we were late, my landlord just came here and wanted to know where it was, I had half in the form of a money order so I gave that to her (I was just waiting until I got the other half to send it in). I told her that we were just trying to get caught up and we would pay her the rest with late fees at the end of this week. Well she was pretty rude about it which I get, but then she started on about how we needed to clean up our carport and how it was "trashy" (it has my DHs tools in it), asking if our dogs came inside (which I said yes, and told her we PAID a pet deposit), she said that I needed to put some clothes on my 2 year old (which hes potty training and will go everywhere if I have anything on the bottom) and was just plain rude! Mind you, I have asked them to fix a broken window that has been there since we moved in (6 months ago!) and the carpets were supposed to be replaced since they were stained so bad, but nothing has been done on their part either. Okay, most of that was venting, but heres the advice I need. Im about to have a baby, in oh, about 14 days, exactly. And my DH is saying we just need to move now and use the money we have for a deposit and rent on the new place and just pay our old landlords off later, but Im not sure. He said he would move everything, that I wouldnt have to do anything, which is nice, but Im still a little overwhelmed, even though I really dont want to stay here, especially now that were on our landlords bad side. What would you do? Keep in mind, there are a lot of houses open in our price range right now that are much nicer than this one. Okay, go ahead, Im ready.

ETA* We are on a month to month lease- AKA we did NOT sign a lease, we are under the Texas month to month lease laws. All we have to do is give them 30 days notice.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grammarpolice
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

I wouldn't want to move when I was having a baby in two weeks. I'd probably have a room all ready for  the new baby & be in high nesting mode.

allyson2212
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

bump 

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

If the place is that bad then move already. Pay them ASAP though. 

allyson2212
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Quoting grammarpolice:

I wouldn't want to move when I was having a baby in two weeks. I'd probably have a room all ready for  the new baby & be in high nesting mode.

Yeah, I do, and I am, which is why Im freaking out. My nesting mode is malfunctioning because it doesnt know where its nest is!! lol

armywifenmommie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

first of all landlord needs to kick rocks the way you keep your house and your kids is your business..now i have to agree with dh. i say go ahead and move if you guys can and deal with them later.  

allyson2212
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Quoting bmw29:

If the place is that bad then move already. Pay them ASAP though. 

Yeah we wouldnt just not pay them, especially because my mom co-signed on the lease. I wouldnt do that to her!

pinkfairy0206
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

i would 100% move!! the landlord is not treating you right, and most of the time they have a few days leeway with rent. just get out of this situation and start off fresh with a new baby and new home!

luv_my_xiya

i would say move now...i moved out of state when dd was 1 week old and it wasnt that bad...so since the baby isnt here yet i would do it now

haydsmom2007

I would move if you can find a place and move fast

Chrystal_A
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Wow pretty low for the landlord to judge your parenting if the child was partially undressed,I can see if maybe you havnt bathed your child and they were nasty as your makign thier property look bad. 

She does have say over the carport and animals.

Its close to christmas,I would not move but thats me-my kids come first.You are going to need money for the baby and for your other childs christmas,so consider that if a move would wipe you dry.

Also keep in mind that if your breaking a lease they can charge you the remaining balance on the lease,can you afford rent in two places?

There is nothing wrong with having the baby in your room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)