Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's having a SLIM Christmas????

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

(raises hand) lol.

I am lucky that I stock up all year long otherwise, no one would be getting anything!  We def have to cut any extended family out. I have to find ways to come up with even sending my sister's box for xmas. We are on a tight budget right now...like everyone else ; ).

So many people I know are going through hardships: my mom (that's nothing new, though) but she's older now and can't paint windows for the holidays like she normally does for xmas/holiday money. My sister and her family her husband keeps getting hours cut back (but at least they qualify for help)...we are considered too rich for any sort of help for anything, ever. lol. whatever.

We just spent 1k on my hubby's car fixing it up, 1k on my friggin' heat went out on mine this weekend, and both our tires are bald, so we need to spend 800 to 1k on tires for both of us. My recliner money (we need furniture) I saved up for, I have to spend on tires now (ho hum) and I wanted a comfy chair for the family. Our ccards we just recently paid off, are jacked back up again. Oh my.

Good news is my ex is paying 7k for my dd's well-needed braces (thank you, God) and there are people I DON'T have to worry about money-wise (my husband's parents)...which is good.

Don't get me wrong, I am blessed. I have a nice home, we have food for thnxgiving already and a free turkey for spending $ at our local grocery store (thank goodness).....

Tips, ideas, shopping, health, moms, Gluten-free, quick recipes, frugal living, reviews, weight loss efforts, funny stuff and more! bablondie.blogspot.com

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ann7227
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

We are !!! lol Just because I'm tired of buying things they break or just don't use.  I'm going to cut my budget in half.

AdkArmyMom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think most people will experience lean times this year and as for Christmas, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It's become the commercial extravaganza it is because we made it that way.  Maybe it won't hurt to cut back some and do more of the traditional things that used to be part of the holidays.  I'm actually looking forward to that.

bablondie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, I know. The sales are getting me, though,,,,oooh I want to shop. lol.

But I really need to get something for dh and dd still, my kids are getting 2 presents each, 1 family shared gift. That's it, but they get plenty from grandparents and aunties and stuff. I really don't like to overdo it no matter if we're having a good year! It teaches them well! Plus I hate too much "stuff" in my house to clean up!

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

I think most people will experience lean times this year and as for Christmas, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It's become the commercial extravaganza it is because we made it that way.  Maybe it won't hurt to cut back some and do more of the traditional things that used to be part of the holidays.  I'm actually looking forward to that.

Chrystal_A
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM

*Say I*

Ive been really lucky so far!Ive spent about $100 and have a max of $200 to go!

My little brothers are orphans so to speak,my grandma adopted them but with my mother passing and thier father a druggie I normally spend $40 on each of them (2 teen boys) but this year they are both getting $25 gift cards.

In the past Ive spent about $40 on my niece and neffew,its been cut to $30.

My kids limit in the past has been $100 (they are 3 and 1) however we have normally passed it by about $40.So far Ive spent $60 on one and $0 on the other,but Ill find something for my 1 year old soon.

Ive been crafty with extended family,or I would of cut the list.

In my family the adults exchange names.So we buy one adult gift for $25,saves moulah there!

My cousins got a combinded gift a twightlight board game $10.

I have 3 sets of friends all reciving the same thing a $5 hershey foundue pot.Im kinda hoping our out of state friends dont come so I can have it lol.Im going to buy some sticks and put them in the box too.

My hubs grandma is getting a $20 cookie set its got a pan cooling rack and 3 cookie cutters form bed bath and beyond with an extra 20% off.Im gonna go to walmart and buy a cookie jar and a few of the cookie mixes and put it in a basket real cute.Shes done alot for us in this past year and so its important for her to have a nice present.

Hubs family gets a shared gift.

Hub so far has 2 $10 gifts,family guy season 7 and an ipod phone case.

I have a spoon lol.

And I found a good deal on the leaspter for my oldest and me(as in the christmas account) and the hubs split the cost.It was $60 with shipping.$50 for system and game.Most places had the system alone $45-50 so I thought it was a great deal!

So far slickdeals.net and amazon have saved me some serious cash!!

jenking04
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM

We are. I am due with baby #2 in january so docter bills are pileing up and child support for one of my hubbys other kids went up from 325-580 so that knocked us for a loop. My mom,dad nd aunt have put out alot of money because my grandma suddenly passed away a month ago so they have been paying for that stuff. My brother and his family are have a hard time because they need $7000 so there oldest son can go to europe over the summer with his class. So this year we are only buying for my son and that it so that will be nice i guess

kemmerer411
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Me! We are def struggling. I'm out of work ... due to have my first baby on friday... wont be going back to work til january. I get disablilty but its only 60 percent of my salary... which honestly isnt much to begin with. I will prob just be getting my sister and brother gift cards for a small amount and everyone else will get xmas cards and lotto tix. : ) Thats the best I can do.

RoguesMommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

yep! 200 dollars this year will cover EVERYONE.

PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I think one person's "slim" is not another person's.

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, tutu making WAH momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

Chrystal_A
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Well of course.We are all different,we all have different incomes,we have different priorities ,so of course!

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

I think one person's "slim" is not another person's.

bablondie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM

That's me, too. My dh says NO EXTENDED family. We only got my sis/brother-in law and their kids, (no other siblings of mine), my kids, my dh, my in-laws and hubby's sister. And my mom/stepdad, and 2 aunts.  That's all I have for them. I think I'll take something back of mine to get my disabled sister something.

I feel bad that all my husband's aunts and stuff and we REALLY should get his coworkers stuff, but Im gonna make them brownies.

my dh is sad he hasn't even got me anything yet, but Id care he can get me one 16$ philosophy body wash and I'll be happy forever : ) lol I told him that!!!!

Quoting RoguesMommy:

yep! 200 dollars this year will cover EVERYONE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)