Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How Young Is Too Young For A Pregnant Teen To Make Her Own Decision About Her Pregnancy?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 148 Replies

I've been in discussions where some people say even 12 year olds should be able to make their own decision about whether or not to abort the pregnancy, carry to term and give the child up for adoption, or carry to term and keep the child.

In my opinion, NO WAY is a 12 year old making that decision for herself.  There is no way that she has the foresight, wisdom and knowledge to be able to consider all of the aspects about such a monumental decision.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilberber
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM

We as mothers cant legally make that decision for them, but we can guide them to make the right choice.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Thats a tough one. I would say about 16 or so, but that even would be with counsiling and a lot of talk. It really depends on the child though. I don't think that 12 is old enough to decide.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Quoting lilberber:

We as mothers cant legally make that decision for them, but we can guide them to make the right choice.

i.heart.rachel
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM

ANY AGE! It's her body and if her mother was watching her better she wouldn't be pregnant anyway!

24 year old, God loving, non-vaxing, tutu making WAH momma to Jenelle, Gracelynn, and Sapphire. Girlfriend to Rachel (not wife, because apparently some people are AGAINST two loving, consenting adults marrying).

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I don't believe there is a set age.  It's their body.  They're "adult" enough to lay down and have sex, so they're adult enough to make the choices about the baby that might come of it.

youngmommy2be09
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I think it depends on the child. At 12 years old I was very very mature and I grew up very fast. I just had my daughter at 16, I'm 17 now. My mom knew I could handle the responsibility she said she would support me in whatever I decided.

I think as a mother we can guide and help and support the decision, But we cannot make the choice for them.

Photobucket
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM

No matter what it will always be the girls body and nothing is worst than a girl having to live with something she had no choice in. Girls all over the world are made to make grown up decisions anyways so why cant a young girl be given all the information and make an educated decision about her own body. In high school a girl I knew got pregnant at 14. Her mother was upset and made her get an abortion. She got it and then got pregnant again in hgh school by the same boyfriend. She kept her baby and has since had 3 or 4 more.  SHe is now still married to the the guy but When I talked to her about it she was still years after this happened she is still  mad that her mother forced her to do this. She wishes that she would have kept that baby and fought with her mother on it.

ErikaM27
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM

a child like under 18 should probably be informed and guided but i dont know??? i mean we're grown women and we still need help with some decisions...

Do you want to vent? Join my group!! WTF

futureshock
by Dr. Futureshock on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Quoting sandra_t00:

Quoting lilberber:

You're right about the legality, but that doesn't mean the parents have to just sit back and accept whatever the child decides, and not give any input.

For example, parents cannot be forced to support the new child, so if a pregnant teen has and keeps her child, she'll have to find a way to support her child herself if her parents are unable or unwilling to do so.

mommam58122
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM

if they are old enough to have a job and take financial responsibilty for the baby then they are old enough to keep the baby if they are not then they should be temporarly fixed and the baby be given up for adoption im sorry if my daughter get preggo at 12 GOD FORBID then we will raise the baby till she is legally old enough to get a job then she has to be financially responsibility i do not believe in abortion and dh would never let one of our grand kids go up for adoption but my dd will also never again be alone with anyone of the opposite sex what so ever and im gonna record all the times the baby cries for any reason and when she wants to go on another date before the age of 20 im gonna play it for her the entire time she is getting ready and say spread your legs and be prepared for all the crying all over again!

Follow me join my groups No Backing down momma's

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN